Engines/motors for power windows question

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My passenger side front window stopped operating out of nowhere. My mechanic thinks it might be the motor. I have two motors that I purchased a while back that have now been replaced for I believe the rear windows. I am wondering whether it is possible to use these motors to replace the front passenger window. If not, does anyone have a source for a new motor just in case this is the issue?

Getting excited about my trip to San Francisco in early November. If there any members along my route from Sun Valley Idaho through Reno and Sacramento that want to meet up, let me know.
a645607e6bd6f9ee444baaa921af1e5e.jpg
d0d29c886fdc1659ba2af0e836a15b4b.jpg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is great to hear. If anyone has a right side motor in great condition rather than me putting one of these older motors in let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

A lot of people have installed the motors from a later model BMW (or an early model Porsche 928 - the ones with 8 teeth on the gear). These transfer to the '74 models with no electrical mods necessary. They also increase the speed of opening and closing. When I replaced mine, it went from about 20 seconds from down to up to about 6 seconds.

If you do a search here for window motor upgrade, you should come up with at least several threads.

Gary

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

A lot of people have installed the motors from a later model BMW (or an early model Porsche 928 - the ones with 8 teeth on the gear). These transfer to the '74 models with no electrical mods necessary. They also increase the speed of opening and closing. When I replaced mine, it went from about 20 seconds from down to up to about 6 seconds.

If you do a search here for window motor upgrade, you should come up with at least several threads.

Gary

Thank you Gary. I would love to be able to have a faster window. I have however gotten used to the very slow windows. Going to look now. Thanks again. I love this group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk