Enough

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hear you. Loud and clear.
I’ve been bombarded all day long with posts and videos about it. And more importantly, I see the effect it is having on my kids. The stress level of the whole country, further exacerbated by the bad blood from our current president, is off the scale.

So after a long and exhausting day, I come up for air in what is a total escape, the e9 forum. So I don’t want to read any more depressing news. But what I do want to hear is the positive that people can turn this into. I don’t have much to report for myself yet. Except that I called a local family owned restaurant whose front glass was broken by scumbag protesters who have nothing to do with the injustice unfurled on black people in this supposedly greatest country and sent them a contribution to help pay for the damages. Not even a drop in the bucket. I know. But in times like these we are desperate to find ways to “do something” no matter how small it is. Obviously voting in November to try and bring back a modicum of human dignity should be at the top of the list.

I will find out what else I can do.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't quite get it. A Man is murdered by a Policeman in a cruel fashion. He is charged with Murder. If not for the video we would not know much about this. There could probably be ten thousand things that happened in the USA last week that if they became viral video it would send people into a Frenzy. Probably the same is true in Canada to a similar proportion. Montreal's downtown was trashed a couple of days ago by "Sympathisers"
This is not about George Floyd IMHO. Just hope carnage doesn't come to visit you. RIP George Floyd. A sad and cruel way to die.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am confident that I don’t want to chat about this topic on this forum. :(
Yeah, I can see this turning political (not that this is your reason to avoid this topic) I really pissed off a close friend yesterday by letting things slip down that road.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am too upset to talk about it, but also disturbing is what the protesters have been doing.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A little positive point of light. I taught English at Bucks CCC in PA for 48 years. The last 15 years I have seen a change, for the best, in my students. More tolerant of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation. You name it. Average age of our students late twenties.

Now I look at the protesters in the cities mostly, and my unscientific study tells me I am seeing an awful lot of white faces. And today, perhaps more importantly there were a dozen young people on the four corners at the red light in New Hope. When I went to our local post office to get my mail there were half a dozen on the four corners at a stop sign! A stop sign where the virus has diminished traffic by at least half.

New Hope, a tourist destination, quaint, charming(well, not really) has been decimated by the virus. Stores shut, street parking forbidden, a ghost town. But there they were, all day, holding up their signs, polite, committed.

They are the future. Sure not all of them but they are there.

This is different. I am hopeful in spite of this dark, dark, time.

Steve

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am too upset to talk about it, but also disturbing is what the protesters have been doing.
Let’s be real careful not to generalize here. The majority of protesters are legitimately pissed off and wanting to fight for a much needed social change. And wanting to do it peacefully. Most of the looters are nothing but scumbags (many of them white - at least in California) trying to take advantage of the situation for nothing but personal gain.

My daughter was in the protests in Chicago and said that 98% of the participants were absolutely civil and respectful... until a few dozen low lifes decided it was time to ruin it for everyone. Of course that 2% is what makes the news.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
"...I met a man who sang the blues, and I asked him for some happy news, and he just smiled and walked away..."That's how I have felt for over a week...

Today is full of more positive vibes. Hope springs eternal. Please wear your masks and be safe..appreciate what you do have. Have the empathy for others to understand how fortunate most of us on this board are. Most of the problems that we have here are first world problems. Politics have no place here. I love politics, just not here. I don't want to hear commercials when I'm watching Jeopardy, i.e.

One of my favorite movies is "Milagro Beanfield War"..critically acclaimed, which meant that not a lot of people saw it.... the opening bit of spoken script, describes most of my philosophy of life without much complication...the crusty old character looks in the mirror first thing in the morning and says "thank you god for giving me another day"...

Yes, I'm rambling. That's why it's off topic. Stay human, folks.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am nauseated whenever I see even a clip of the 8+ minute video showing a police officer pressing his knee on a man's neck while he suffocates, and 3 other officers doing nothing. I also wonder why the person videoing the scene is not yelling STOP, STOP, Your are killing him, HELP, SOMEBODY HELP, etc. Maybe seeking 10 minutes of fame rather than being interested in saving the man's life? I'm equally nauseated by the senseless shooting of an officer in Oakland, the apparent murder of a retired police chief guarding a building in St. Louis, and the injuries to many innocent police officers protecting public facilities and private businesses. NONE of these people deserved to die or be physically injured.

I'm also greatly disturbed by the loss of access to food and medicines in neighborhoods that were already under served for such life sustaining needs, as a result of the looters actions in nearby Philadelphia. I find it interesting that many TV 'talking heads' say the widespread and long lasting looting was only by a few bad people and that most protesters are being peaceful - while they seem to have concluded that improper policing is systemic throughout the nation and harassment/assault of police 'standing guard' is acceptable, and maybe even applauded. (I fully believe that a vast majority of demonstrators are peaceful, AND that a vast majority of police officers are good people. Those who aren't should be held accountable, but with the strength of the local police unions, it seems too often to be nearly impossible).

I am greatly encouraged by the broad range of facial colors and features I've seen in the many peaceful protests in major cities I've viewed on the various network/cable news channels. Our small county seat town of West Chester PA (~20K) has had several completely peaceful marches already, and several more are planned in the area over the next few days. I'm hoping that can continue throughout our troubled nation.

I wish I could be hopeful that politicians of all stripes will look at the issues objectively, get rid of the political rhetoric, and proceed to seek real solutions rather than band aids to cover a wound. It's been 52 years since the senseless killing of Martin Luther King, and we've had all sorts of band aids 'passed' in DC. But even with multi trillion dollars of public expenditures, the issues still exist. I'd like to be a lot more optimistic than I am about there being vast improvement over the next 5-10 years. Most 'politicians' are more concerned about their next election cycle than addressing real problems.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am nauseated when I see even a clip of the 8+ minute video showing a police officer pressing his knee on a man's neck while he suffocates. I'm equally nauseated by the senseless shooting of an officer in Oakland, the apparent murder of a retired police chief guarding a building in St. Louis, and the injuries to many innocent police officers protecting public facilities and private businesses. NONE of these people deserved to die or be physically injured.

I'm also greatly disturbed by the loss of access to food and medicines in neighborhoods that were already under served for such life sustaining needs in nearby Philadelphia. And, I find it interesting that many TV 'talking heads' say the widespread and long lasting looting was only by a few bad people and that most protesters are being peaceful - while they seem to have concluded that improper policing is systemic throughout the nation and harassment/assault of police 'standing guard is to be applauded. (I fully believe that a vast majority of demonstrators are peaceful, AND that a vast majority of police officers are good people. Those who aren't should be held accountable).

I am greatly encouraged by the broad range of facial colors and features I've seen in the many peaceful protests in major cities I've viewed on the various network/cable news channels. Our small county seat town of West Chester PA has had several completely peaceful marches already, and several more are planned in the area over the next few days. I'm hoping that can continue throughout our troubled nation.

I wish I could be hopeful that politicians of all stripes will look at the issues objectively, get rid of the political rhetoric, and proceed to seek real solutions rather than band aids to cover a wound. It's been 52 years since the senseless killing of Martin Luther King, and we've had all sorts of band aids 'passed' in DC. But even with multi trillion dollars of public expenditures, the issues still exist. I'd like to be a lot more optimistic than I am about there being vast improvement over the next 5-10 years. Most 'politicians' are more concerned about their next election cycle than addressing real problems.
Very well said.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
...and how many people are shot in Chicago on any given weekend? We have many issues in our country, and the last thing we need is more pandering and symbolic gestures, leadership in most if not all major cities do just that.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been a man of color all my life and while I experience ethnic discrimination on a regular/recurring basis, it is a many many orders of magnitude less than what we see directed toward the black-American community.

i perceive that in America there are much higher levels of overt & subconscious racism towards Black Americans than toward any other dark skinned ethnic group. If this is true and not just skewed perception, why is this so? Is racism purely a function of the darkness of one’s skin?

If it, what are other significant/primary causal factors for excessive and unjustified use of police force against black-Americans?

If we understand this, maybe it will help us more directly address the unequal treatment of black Americans.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
"We all saw what happened last week. We can't let that happen. Hopefully George is looking down and saying this is a great thing that's happening for our country. (It's) a great day for him. It's a great day for everybody," Trump said during a White House Rose Garden event before signing a piece of legislation devoted to small business loan flexibility

Source. CNN

3D4515C3-CC20-469C-B88A-E20618913463.jpeg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not very well covered other than the ridiculous faux pas that makes folks cringe....but these were the words that came right before and after....
"Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement, regardless of Race Gender or Creed ..they have to receive fair treatment from law enforcement,...they have to receive it... we all saw what happened last week , we can't let that happen. Then the George Great day stuff....
followed by " Then it is really what our constitution requires and it is what our country is about."
Want to see what made me cringe today? The Guy who wore Black Face more times than he can remember... at least once with a Giant appendage strapped on scolding us yet again.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not very well covered other than the ridiculous faux pas that makes folks cringe....but these were the words that came right before and after....
"Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement, regardless of Race Gender or Creed ..they have to receive fair treatment from law enforcement,...they have to receive it... we all saw what happened last week , we can't let that happen. Then the George Great day stuff....
followed by " Then it is really what our constitution requires and it is what our country is about."

Bob,
Thanks for the clarification of the full comments by Trump. Those were the words I heard as well.

Most any phrase can be taken out of context and in many cases, it can significantly change the overall message. It is done too often in our country (by both 'tribes') which exacerbates divisiveness.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most any phrase can be taken out of context and in many cases, it can significantly change the overall message. It is done too often in our country (by both 'tribes') which exacerbates divisiveness.
That is very true indeed.

However, in this case, it fits perfectly with the vitriol he has been spewing and especially tweeting ever since he came into office.

This has nothing to do with party politics or affiliation anymore. It’s about the person at the head of our country who is supposed to lead by example showing he lacks the most basic elements of human decency. What a sorry model for our children.

Last edited: