Experience with world upholstery?

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there,

Do any of you fine folks have experience with World Upholstery? I will need to 1) reupholster the fronts and rears or 2) replace the fronts (thinking Recaros) and reupholster the rears. Any experiences and advice are welcome.

Thank you!!

Bill P.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought from them decades ago, direct and also via CNPR. No recent experience though I have been thinking of going to them specifically for the caramel colored "tabacco skai" seats that was used in E3s

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you are going to put recaros in you have some thinking to do ... and that is matching the material and style front to back. if you use the 320i recaros you might be able to get matching material ... but the style will be different. my guess is that you probably want to find a good local upholsterer ... you might buy the rear seat kit and have the local guy match the material (or buy extra material with the kit) and get it done together

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi there,

Do any of you fine folks have experience with World Upholstery? I will need to 1) reupholster the fronts and rears or 2) replace the fronts (thinking Recaros) and reupholster the rears. Any experiences and advice are welcome.

Thank you!!

Bill P.
I have bought leather, vinyl, not kits, and dye from them, no concerns.

jmackro

Reaction score
if you are going to put recaros in you have some thinking to do ... you probably want to find a good local upholsterer ...

Stating rsporsche's comment a bit differently:

#1, Why would you consider replacing your original seats with aftermarket (e.g., Recaro)? Is it that you autocross the car and need something that will resist lateral movement? Need more comfortable seats? Original upholstery & padding worn out, and new seats would be cheaper? Your reasons will determine what route makes more sense. If your coupe is fairly original appearance-wise, installing aftermarket seats may detract from its value. If it's built as more of a rally/competition car, then sure, use seats with more lateral support.

#2 If the reasons are "need more comfort" or "old ones just worn out", then a good upholsterer can work miracles on your original seats. Replacing the 45-year old foam pads, broken springs, etc. can make a huge difference.

One other suggestion:

3) If you decide to reupholster your original seats, talk with the upholsterer before buying kits from World or anyone else. Many upholsterers prefer to sew up their own coverings - claim they can get a better fit that way. Or, they may prefer GAHH (say) over World. Or they may want to place the order so they get the "installer's discount", charge you retail, and credit the difference against your bill.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think we should contact lseat.com and see if they'll make some covers for us. I've been told they'll make covers if you supply then the patterns and my friend that does interiors was very impressed with their work. I believe they already offer covers for the 320i Recaros.

Reactions: dp

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Talk to Dave at Aardvarc Racing in San Diego He's the best in restoring/redoing Recarros. I think he can supply them as well. And he's a super straight guy There is a set of E30 sport seats for sale on Phoenix CL for around $400 if still available they have been there for a month. Need to be redone but a good deal is probably there Under BMW parts by owner

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on reupholstery the seats in MY BABY. Just want to confirm this is the right direction. Let me know. Thanks so much.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score