Extra wires and switch ignition

larry00700

Reaction score
Hey guys. Pulling this thing apart and want to fix the wiring under the dash, at least getting a turn key ignition back in place. There are also a few extra bits and bobs put in place that I don't recognize. Has anyone seen anything like these buttons before, or have an idea what they were put in place for?

I don't want to put juice to it before I figure out what's what.

Any help would be great. Of course I can always add more pictures if something else needs to be seen.

Thanks guys,
Larry
acf99769b539380497ded0407138908c.jpg
78bca0246a1f91e3074352d7cf541d42.jpg
39c58729872c435d27de4637b4f63761.jpg
8917af155934777179f78a6a4fb22dbd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ugg what a mess!

You know, I just went through this. I pulled my radio and the rats nest of wires. I had two flip switches and a battery gauge as well. It all cleaned up beautifully but I accidentally yanked a power wire to #5 on the fuse box. The car was dead for a week before I spent time tracing the issue. Pay attention to the terminal ends. Look for clear factory connectors. Electrical tape is a sign of tampering. Plastic tubing is factory. Those blue and yellow autozone-looking terminal ends are not factory. I also spy a green wire with an inline fuse. You shouldn't have random red wires dangling about.

The orange button is your rear defroster
The red buttons are the factory breakers for your windows.
The black plastic switch is some type of owner-installed switch. Trace the wires back
The big flip switch looks like it is related to the ignition switch, which has a red, violet, and green wire. Edit: I see from your post that this is probably an ignition switch bypass. I'm trying to figure out how that works. I would think you would need a momentary button for a starter and a switch for accessory power.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That looks a bit like the underside of my dash. There is/was a remote box for an alarm which was wired into way too many bits, an old school radar detector hard wired in, an aftermarket radio, and I don't even know what else yet. I haven't fully tackled it, but am glad to read that others have similar situations. Good luck, and thank you for posting such great pics. I am embarrassed to show this area of my car. :eek:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The small can relay looking device might be the old buzzer for seatbelts/key, it fits between the steering column covers.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks a bit like the underside of my dash. There is/was a remote box for an alarm which was wired into way too many bits, an old school radar detector hard wired in, an aftermarket radio, and I don't even know what else yet. I haven't fully tackled it, but am glad to read that others have similar situations. Good luck, and thank you for posting such great pics. I am embarrassed to show this area of my car. :eek:
Yes, I know what you mean. Last time I was in there, with truly the best of intentions, I mean I was cleaning up terminals and improving ground wire contacts and such...then sunroof stopped working :(.
It is minefield of risk. Don't go in there alone!