facing engine swap on my 73' coupe....

studio128

Reaction score
....so, after a complete rebuild on my beautiful baikal 3.0cs, the crank cracked/broke and destroyed the block. the car is with my mechanic Rick @North Bay Bavarian in santa rosa, ca. and we're trying to find a solution. i had no idea it was getting so hard to find a good m30b35 donor engine/car, assumed there were plenty out there. curious about several things, what does a e9 with such a swap feel like in comparison with the stock engine, and what are my options....and does anyone out there have any motors/donor cars that i might consider? appreciate any help, this is really a bummer...the car was finally mostly sorted and love to drive it regularly.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
M30B35's appear fairly regularly in the local boneyards. You can put in a search for the years of BMW's you are searching for at Row52.com and you'll get a notice in your email when one appears in the junkyards who use the service.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would get there asap as it's been there for a month and they may "rotate" it soon. There is probably a good chance that the tranny is gone. Those manual ones don't stay there very long. Get rubber boots as it gets real muddy with multiple pool of water. Especially if you go after tomorrow's predicted storm

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys- I posted 3 weeks ago that I had that engine picked and posted pictures of the cracked block.

For the record..
I sent a crew in and pulled the engine and tranny. The tranny was hamburger and the block was cracked.
The guy at the desk had no idea where the wheels went.
Total cost- 880.00 and I'm hoping the head is usable. Losing money is part of being in business.

Not a good part.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would get there asap as it's been there for a month and they may "rotate" it soon. There is probably a good chance that the tranny is gone. Those manual ones don't stay there very long. Get rubber boots as it gets real muddy with multiple pool of water. Especially if you go after tomorrow's predicted storm

Nobody wants a Getrag 260 tranny with chunks of metal coming out of the drain hole. My crew was there at 39* and raining.

Yes- I got my money back from the local yard.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sounds like time is not on your side, but they do come up for sale fairly often. Probably rare to see them "sitting" around waiting for buyers.

I prefer honest sellers who run compression checks and provide #s in listing.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on "...the crank broke after a complete rebuild..." Isn't that a very rare occurrence? How did the crank break/crack? Any learnings?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone thinking of going to Rocklin PicknPull for the coveted 1988 m30b35 engine-
Don’t waste your time. It found a home.