Fan against radiator 3.0 CSI

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made the unfortunate acquaintance of a rock this wkend. The fairing splintered, but more importantly the chin took a hit and was moderately buckled.
On inspection, there was an impact w the tow hook/motor mount strut, though it appears intact and not bent. The chin however moved slightly in, and with it the radiator, and there is a slight contact w the fan when braking. I am concerned about the possibility of motor mount damage, but also looking for recommendations for a body shop which is familiar with the model.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
This car was mint just yesterday !

neon
'73 3.0 csi w csl body parts, fiord blue

jmackro

Reaction score
location, location, location

You mean you don't know neon's location? He's in the rightmost column, below helium in the second row.

periodic_table_of_elements.jpg

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I say a CSi means probably European, the careful use of language means British, and by the amount of damage caused by the rock, it must be the Rock of Gibraltar.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We know where the OP is from.....

"The fairing splintered, but more importantly the chin took a hit and was moderately buckled."

Hint- its not Huntington Beach.

Honolulu

Reaction score
hmmm tough crowd. What a way to welcome a newb. We usually do better.

Doesn't sound like he's from around here (Honolulu Hawaii) though.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hmmm tough crowd. What a way to welcome a newb. We usually do better.

Doesn't sound like he's from around here (Honolulu Hawaii) though.

Friendly banter. To distract him from the car damage ...

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Took it on the chin": Radiator pushed back

Folks
Sorry, location is eastern CT. I guess I am wondering if a competent local body shop is as good as a shop such as VSR1 which is some 4 hours from me.
Could drive the car if I can bring that radiator forward 2 mm.

Neon

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Folks
Sorry, location is eastern CT. I guess I am wondering if a competent local body shop is as good as a shop such as VSR1 which is some 4 hours from me.

Neon

VSR IS the place to go. Could also go to Sports Car Restoration in Plainville CT, they specialize in 2002s, and have a few E9s there too.

Hope the fan doesn't catch a radiator lip, it sucks. Our fan clutch failed and the fan wobbled and caught the radiator while doing 75.

Attachments

• Fan Fiasco2.jpg
    Fan Fiasco2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 181

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew
If I can manage to push the chin forward that little bit and thus the radiator, off to NH I go.... Then again, if I cant, maybe a transport co and to NH anyway. In you opinion, is VSR1 as much expert in body work as in gen mech work? I know they are revered and great people, I have discussed w them.
Dana

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew
If I can manage to push the chin forward that little bit and thus the radiator, off to NH I go.... Then again, if I cant, maybe a transport co and to NH anyway. In you opinion, is VSR1 as much expert in body work as in gen mech work? I know they are revered and great people, I have discussed w them.
Dana

Yes. They are the place to go for everything coupe related on the East Coast. From complex rust repair to 5-speed swaps to oil changes, they do it all.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As a bandaid you could remove the rubber radiator mounts and wedge the radiator against the front clip with some cardboard or something between the back of the radiator and the back of the brackets nearest the engine, this would give you a 1/4" or so to get you there.

Thanks Andrew
Dana

Stefan

Reaction score
Folks

Neon

Remove the rubbers inside the upper radiator mountings and replace it with something that just press the radiator forward and you'll have at least 5mm for the road trip to the shop.

Do the same with the lower mountings if it's not enough.

Good luck!

/Stefan

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew
Dana

Yes they are expert in bodywork too.
http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?page=race-car-stories-2
my car after a restoration there

MMercury

Reaction score
On inspection, there was an impact w the tow hook/motor mount strut, though it appears intact and not bent. The chin however moved slightly in, and with it the radiator, and there is a slight contact w the fan when braking.

In addition to the other good suggestions, you might consider examining the transmission mount. A wimpy rubber mount can often permit the engine to cant - just enough for the fan and radiator to kiss. Carefully raising and/or lowering the transmission while watching the fan and radiator clearance may demonstrate this. Shimming the cross member may purchase some peace of mind, even if it is measured in millimeters.

Without advocating them, there are always other alternatives such as deleting the mechanically driven fan in favor of something electric or even shortening the plastic fan blades.

00020006_z.jpg

11000001_z.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
repair places

VSR IS the place to go. Could also go to Sports Car Restoration in Plainville CT, they specialize in 2002s, and have a few E9s there too.

Hope the fan doesn't catch a radiator lip, it sucks. Our fan clutch failed and the fan wobbled and caught the radiator while doing 75.

Ive heard good and a little bad about SCR from a friend who has a major restoration in that shop.
Automotive Restoration Inc is another good CT place that has done a lot of BMWs

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Once you have removed the 4 rubber radiator rubber blocks you can use zip ties threaded through the radiator and tied off to the condenser brackets to secure it for the trip.