Fender flares

bryson

Reaction score
What is the generally accepted method for adding fender flares to a e9? I would be worried about compromising the rigidity of the chassis by removing the fenders and replacing them with fiberglass. Do most people just glass on the wider fenders and cut out the wheel wells of the stock ones, or do they remove even more of the fender? I wouldn't be doing this for awhile, but I want to see if it's something I should consider, since it will affect my choice of when to paint the car. Thanks!

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A) The e9 is a unibody car and
B) it's not exactly a stiff structure in its original form and
C) the fenders are welded on, not bolted,

so you probably want to remove the least amount of the original sheet metal as possible. I'd say use a good construction adhesive to bond on the flares, then just cut back the fenders as much as needed to clear your tires at full steering lock and full suspension compression.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
3M has a two part adhesive specifically for bonding fiberglass to steel. Requires a special applicator with a mixer nozzle, contact your local 3M distributor. You can retain some rigidity by cutting the rear inner wheel wells out to the tangent point of the inner wheel well, cutting the outer and bending in and welding together, keeping some of the rigidity and opening it up for big rubber. The only thing you need do is cut clearance on the front fenders, fronts do little to add rigidity to the body. Use the roll cage to stiffen the structure by welding it to the rockers, firewall, shock mounts, etc. Weld a tube across the rear shock mounts and weld brackets to the top of the front inner fenders to take a stress bar with heim joints across the front. Dont bother with junk like the Ireland strut bar, couldn't me flimsier. The only other off the shelf item is the RC Motorsport sold by Carl Nelson, but very pricey if available at all. Weld one in yourself, saves a ton.

bryson said:
What is the generally accepted method for adding fender flares to a e9? I would be worried about compromising the rigidity of the chassis by removing the fenders and replacing them with fiberglass. Do most people just glass on the wider fenders and cut out the wheel wells of the stock ones, or do they remove even more of the fender? I wouldn't be doing this for awhile, but I want to see if it's something I should consider, since it will affect my choice of when to paint the car. Thanks!