Finally! Off of the rotisserie.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After about 4 years, I finally took my coupe off of the rotisserie. Wasn't quite sure how it was going to go, as I had only built it onto the body, but it wasn't that bad. Two floor jacks, a set of jack-stands, no problem. Took about 4 hours to completely separate the body. Here is where the, hypothetically, "easy fun" begins: bolting new parts onto a clean body. Luckily, I took the week off to put the suspension back on. Not that it actually took that long, it was just hard to find all the bloody bits in seven years worth of zip-lock baggies. My file management skills could have been better: had to disassembly a second front end to get a full set of castelated nuts, plus a trip to Boyd Fechner's for a set of strut bearing studs. I distinctly remember carefully storing these very items, thinking how screwed I'd be if I lost them. Not a wonder why so many companies shell out big bucks for SAP.

P6121074.jpg

P6121085.jpg

P6161107.jpg

P6161109.jpg

P6161110.jpg

P6161111.jpg

P6171118.jpg

G

Reaction score
WOW.. :o ...Congrats.....Looks like after all that hard work your going to end up with one...... very beautiful coupe.....
Cheers
Giorgio

Malc

Reaction score
TIDY :D
Glad to see you have undersealed it.... Plenty of cavity wax is advised too
What sauce did you use while the poor thing was on the spit? :wink:
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
David,
Noticed the cable from the battrey is coming out of the chassis leg. Have you put the battery in the boot or under the rear seats?
Would apperciate you letting me know how you did it.

Must admit I was thinking of doing the same for the fuel and brake lines....
Malc

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Malc,

I was planning to put the battery in the boot using the same aftermarket strut brace/battery box that Shanon has in his car. I forget who sells it, been meaning to ask him. The POS cable goes through left frame rail into the cabin and follows the rear light wiring harness to the boot. The NEG cable goes through the right frame rail into the cabin following the symmetric route to the boot. ...doing the same with the fuel and brake lines would be very Chip Foose.

David

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Top End Performance makes a battery locate brace. I used it for a year and then ended up putting the battery under the rear seat. Ran the cable in the frame rail in both installations.

If you can restore a car then you could build a copy for less than $20. I can send you a picture and some measurements. Hell, for $20 plus shipping I'll send you the brace I used for the year.

Malc

Reaction score
Thanks David!
Long way from deciding where the battery is going to go, except I am not putting it back in the engine bay!

Noticed that you have fitted "red" bushes, are they "Polybush" or somebody else's?
I fitted red polybushes to my 2002Tii and want to do the same for the bucket.
Cheers
Malc

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Malc,

The polybushes came with the Suspension Techniques swaybar kit. I bought it from Carl about six years ago. I'm not sure he still carries that brand. The rear bar went in easily. The front was less cooperative, but eventually submitted.

David

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
sway bar bushing bolt assembly-suggestion

years ago--my long time early BMW mechanic suggested that we turn the bolts upside down on E-9 & E-3's--by so doing you avoid the inevitable bending of that bolt from contact with parking curbs or the like.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Murray. Will do. Better now while the parts are accessible, clean, and unbent.

David

Malc

Reaction score
Re: sway bar bushing bolt assembly-suggestion

years ago--my long time early BMW mechanic suggested that we turn the bolts upside down on E-9 & E-3's--by so doing you avoid the inevitable bending of that bolt from contact with parking curbs or the like.

And if you live in a nice damp rust inducing climate lather the bolt and spacer tube with antiseize compound otherwise after a couple of years you will have to use an angle grinder to get them off!
Malc