Five bar kidney grills

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
51754879-B1C7-4ADA-BBD2-D8564F63A3C0.jpeg B9C61C1D-C439-4353-A967-C2EE5CED0ED9.jpeg E140CEF8-C0FD-43B2-B2A8-F07C099349CE.jpeg 755993A7-B950-422F-83C5-70E0114BD785.jpeg 7D9839A2-9D2A-49AE-B5BC-485E9079D2D2.jpeg 1E716059-EB5C-40C3-A512-AE62B70398E3.jpeg D5F94095-5113-473A-A31B-D02AD397137D.jpeg 3ABFD64C-CC49-425F-B4F5-7AB8BA0194E2.jpeg 127E35B1-D0AB-4715-9EDA-ADC69EF9EBCE.jpeg 9F565AA6-0A6C-491E-8F2B-837679988729.jpeg Two grills, decent shape, one has black overspray on it, both have small dents, but both will clean up nicely. What is fair price? Shipped from 05478.
- Sean

mr bump

Reaction score
I know one has 5 and 1 has 4 bars, but what years were these grill on? Is the 5 bar one later than the 4?

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi. Forgot to ask if you received the photos of the E9 clutch pedal that I need and you said you may have?
Thanks
Harry

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m uncertain of the model years of the all-aluminum five slat grilles except from what i have read on this forum.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m uncertain of the model years of the all-aluminum five slat grilles except from what i have read on this forum.

The all silver ones went from 1968 to 1973. Sometime in 1974 they switched to the four bar plastic salt grille. The CSL grille stuck with the black five slat aluminum grille through the whole production run.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 58827 View attachment 58828 View attachment 58829 View attachment 58830 View attachment 58831 View attachment 58832 View attachment 58833 View attachment 58834 View attachment 58826 View attachment 58825 Two grills, decent shape, one has black overspray on it, both have small dents, but both will clean up nicely. What is fair price? Shipped from 05478.
- Sean
The value has a lot to do with the condition !
There are long time experts here on this thread who should have chimed in.
Usually people that need one want one in really good shape and willing to pay upward of $200 ! In my opinion you should list more picture of the damaged areas on the grills ! You should have pictures from the side of the grill to show the length of the mounting screws . They tend to brake and ...
The black paint over sprey is very easy to remove... but repairing an already stretched dented aluminum back to shape is another story
The 4 slats ones are generally less valuable , and some new ones are available.
The aluminum is rather thin It take a lot to repair them or restore them. It’s not easy !
Not knowing the extent of the damage as much as I would like to , I dare to say your 5 slats are worth in the range of $60 to 140 and the 4 slats about 50!
Again this is purely my opinion ! And I am not expert such Markos or HB chris and Keshav!

I have bought several used ones to exprement with repairing and restoring them !
recently bought one that was in near perfect shape for real cheap. with one exception one of the slats was missing . So I am looking for one of the slats . If anyone has any please contact me!

Cheers to all!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The value has a lot to do with the condition !
There are long time experts here on this thread who should have chimed in.
Usually people that need one want one in really good shape and willing to pay upward of $200 ! In my opinion you should list more picture of the damaged areas on the grills ! You should have pictures from the side of the grill to show the length of the mounting screws . They tend to brake and ...
The black paint over sprey is very easy to remove... but repairing an already stretched dented aluminum back to shape is another story
The 4 slats ones are generally less valuable , and some new ones are available.
The aluminum is rather thin It take a lot to repair them or restore them. It’s not easy !
Not knowing the extent of the damage as much as I would like to , I dare to say your 5 slats are worth in the range of $60 to 140 and the 4 slats about 50!
Again this is purely my opinion ! And I am not expert such Markos or HB chris and Keshav!

I have bought several used ones to exprement with repairing and restoring them !
recently bought one that was in near perfect shape for real cheap. with one exception one of the slats was missing . So I am looking for one of the slats . If anyone has any please contact me!

Cheers to all!

I might have a spare slat from memory in the hoard of parts on it's way to me. Remind me in a couple of weeks.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I might have a spare slat from memory in the hoard of parts on it's way to me. Remind me in a couple of weeks.
Thanks Wes!
I will do just that !
I appreciate it! What would be the coincidence (odds of 10%) that yours is the right one I need ! However I think I can make any of the m work ! Since my missing slat is one of the short ones.

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi;
I'm having my 5 slat silver one taken apart polished and painted by the same people that chromed my taillight frames, I will post some pictures once is finished.
Victor

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi;
I'm having my 5 slat silver one taken apart polished and painted by the same people that chromed my taillight frames, I will post some pictures once is finished.
Victor

Another option is just to chrome the outer frame instead of polishing it and a clear coat of some sort. The slats could also be chromed, painted, powder coated or anodized black. Chroming aluminum can be problematic, but the results can be excellent if all the proper steps for chroming aluminum are applied.

I do have a newly polished and ceramic coated kidney grill from the Socal outfit and while the finish is spectacular, it does not gleam like the mirror like finish that chrome possesses. The side by side comparison tells all.

I do have a chromed grill frame in great condition (from my 1st 1988 bought coupe), but sadly, the chromed slats flaked off after a few years. Oddly, the outer frame remains to this day in beautiful condition. As stated previously, the reflective properties and appearance of a chrome finish is much superior to the polished and coated aluminum.

Last edited: