Five speed conversion on bring a trailer

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this a good deal? Someday I plan to convert as I was told it is a good upgrade although I’m not sure if my local mechanic could install it. He said he could but wondering if I should trust him

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a great upgrade. Changes how the car drives by "relaxing" it. It's not a complicated swap if the shop has decent mechanics. Not part swappers, mechanics.
Thanks. Do you think I should place a bid on this or are there other complete kits available that I should consider instead?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think I should place a bid on this or are there other complete kits available that I should consider instead?
Maybe others will chime in. The only time I've ever done 5spd swaps I pulled the parts at a wrecking yard and did the swap myself. I have no idea what good price is nowadays.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you are converting from a 4 speed to a 5 speed there are a lot of parts in this "kit" that you won't need. You could resell them, however.
Dick‘s right. Everything for auto to manual swap is included.
If you’re converting from a 4 speed you won’t need:
pedals
clutch master
shift surround
radiator side tank and bracket
brake fluid reservoir
You will need to get an automatic speedometer cable as they‘re longer and the 4speed cable is too short.

You’ll also save a good amount of labor time as swapping from 4speed is much more straightforward.
That said, assembling these parts on your own is a PITA and getting everything in one deal adds a lot of value IMHO.
If you do a lot of highway cruising the 5th gear will be you’re best friend.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick‘s right. Everything for auto to manual swap is included.
If you’re converting from a 4 speed you won’t need:
pedals
clutch master
shift surround
radiator side tank and bracket
brake fluid reservoir
You will need to get an automatic speedometer cable as they‘re longer and the 4speed cable is too short.

You’ll also save a good amount of labor time as swapping from 4speed is much more straightforward.
That said, assembling these parts on your own is a PITA and getting everything in one deal adds a lot of value IMHO.
If you do a lot of highway cruising the 5th gear will be you’re best friend.
Thank you. What do you think a reasonable bid is for this and if I don’t get it what are my options to convert? Do I have to track down parts individually or will someone have them ready as a kit? I don’t really drive much on the highway so I’m not sure if this is really something I truly need

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@scottevest - so many of the parts are getting harder to find - specifically the 5 speed getrag and the pedals. most of the other things can still be sourced new. the beauty of this package is that it was put together by a somebody who knows what they are doing ... and somebody who has a reputation for high quality / inspection.

since you have a 4 speed, you can sell the pedals, clutch master / slave and shift surround to somebody looking to make this swap from an auto. you might not need the flywheel, clutch / pressure plate ... but you might need to replace them. when i replaced my engine, i put all new clutch gear so i don't have to back in there. mine turned out to be in VG shape.

What do you think a reasonable bid is for this and if I don’t get it what are my options to convert?
IMHO, what is reasonable to some, might not be for others. buying an untested 5 speed, is a significant risk and could be an expensive boat anchor. 5 to 10 years ago the tranny was 1500 by itself. now i have seen them go for 4 to 5k

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don’t really drive much on the highway so I’m not sure if this is really something I truly need
When our cars were new, they ran on the Autobahn at 90 mph all day. Not a problem for these precision high RPM motors. The advantages of an OD for us are a few more MPG and somewhat less noise (well, of course there are also bragging rights. ;) ). I also don't drive much at 70 MPH+ and like the "song" of the engine when I do. I'm not tempted.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it also gives you more options with differential gearing. if you want acceleration, you can use more teeth and improve performance and still have 5th gear to keep you sane at 70 mph. while a 3.45 vs a 3.64 only changes 4 mph in 5th at 3000 rpm (79 vs. 75 mph)... if you go to a 4.11, the acceleration jumps and the speed in 5th at 3000 drops by 13 (to 67 mph).

in 4th at 3000 rpm, you are going 64 with a 3.45 (61 w/ a 3.64) ... but with a 4.11, you are only going 54. btw - the e30 m3 uses a 4.11 gear ... which puts you higher in the revs quicker.

the other direction is to use the close ratio 5 speed, which does the same thing, but for highway driving you want the 3.25 gear

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you. What do you think a reasonable bid is for this and if I don’t get it what are my options to convert? Do I have to track down parts individually or will someone have them ready as a kit? I don’t really drive much on the highway so I’m not sure if this is really something I truly need
No one sells a kit and the trans is getting hard to find. This is a no reserve auction so watch this week and be there at the end, you do need to register first though.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
No one sells a kit and the trans is getting hard to find. This is a no reserve auction so watch this week and be there at the end, you do need to register first though.
I think I’m already registered because I sold a car there once before. I put an aggressive bid in at $3000 and told everyone that I am going to win and stay away :) no idea what the market value of this should be.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
@scottevest Good Luck. If your mechanic can replace a clutch he can do this swap in a few hours.
In case you hadn’t noticed the seller has impeccable e9 credentials. Bid with confidence.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s a top quality collection of parts.
today’s market is worth 6k or so I would think
don, thanks for getting involved in the bidding war :) I’ve been up to the amount you said it was worth and willing to go hire. Rather than going back-and-forth, why don’t you just call me and tell me how much you’re willing to pay and I will just pay more :)

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have a 4-speed already, isn't it the case that you could get a very reputable mechanic to do the entire job, parts and labor for $6000? I know @rporsche said the transmissions go for 4 or 5k but I actually didn't think they were that expensive.