Front Brake Caliper Confusion

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need a left front caliper for my 73 E9. Per RealOem, the part number differs between the E9 and a Bavaria, yet I have an extra caliper from my Bavaria and it is identical to the E9 when I line them up side by side. So I remain (more) confused.

BTW I cannot locate a true E9 caliper (34111101859) other than new ( that includes W&N). Multiple sites say they have rebuilt but when you call, they do not. Next stop will be Double o2

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E3 has a solid disc so caliper doesn’t have the spacer. It appears however that the Euro 3.0S, Si and L used a vented rotor.

Does your e3 have vented rotors?

Last edited:

lloyd

Reaction score
Umm. If I am not mistaken, the E9 and Bavaria (E3) calipers you are comparing are identical, except for the fact that the E9 caliper also includes two spacers that permit the caliper to accommodate the E9's wider vented rotor. Without seeing it, the Bavaria caliper you have may actually be the same as an E9 version, whether from an E9 donor or a modified E3 version intended to fit over the E9 vented rotors. I am certain someone has posted the two versions for comparison, that said, below are the spacers that fit between the two caliper halves.

calipers.jpg caliper spacers 2.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well then I feel comfortable using parts from the Bav caliper to repair my E9 caliper. Thank You guys.
No I have a solid disc and did not notice the spacer.

Lloyd...no wonder the E9 calipers are so hard to find!

lloyd

Reaction score
No wonder the E9 calipers are so hard to find!

Sadly, I once had quite a collection of spare brake parts, but alas, the caliper-laden bench and its contents are not mine. (I believe it is an image once posted on this or a similar forum regarding caliper restoration, including re-plating.) Besides, my local witch doctor has advised reducing the amount of cadmium in my diet, in favor of lighter metals. Its easier on dental enamel. :D

Parts may be interchangeable; however, the fasteners and "o-rings" used to attach both caliper halves deserve extra consideration. Some fasteners are of a torque-to-yield design and not intended for multiple use. And O-rings probably do not last forever. So, the best practice would be to replace the two fasteners that secure the two calipers together. Since calipers are routinely rebuilt on an industrial level, new (proper length) fasteners and o-rings doubtlessly exist, but may not be readily available as part of typical caliper rebuild "kits." Please see this thread, especially including Luis' photos, which seem suitable for framing or inclusion in a wedding album. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/stock-caliper-rebuild.17389/ (I am confident there are more threads on this topic.)

P1100166.JPG

20150206_135824-01-jpg.13260

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
5768DEED-0E2D-4D2F-82D4-D362947890D7.jpeg E9 2800 calipers are pretty cheap used
E9 3.0 calipers have good value as do e24. Let me know if you can’t find one.

restart

Reaction score
Square cut bmw oil filter change o rings are the same dimensions as the square cut caliper sealing o rings.
You can just cut them to size and crazy glue the ends. They will not fail as they live in a space that leaves no room for them to expand.
238CCE22-8608-4828-92E8-12C05EA455E2.jpeg 48FFB7AB-D216-4AC0-A2C6-6C3A801789FF.jpeg F6E23CE7-0E3B-4571-8B7A-856376E44FAB.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rebuild kits are easy to find, the o-rings I believe can be purchased from PBR. The fasteners are NLA but can probably substitute.
My E3 caliper is so rusted, the fasteners will not come loose even with heat, PB Blaster etc., so I may have to cut then of and may end up doing the same to the E9 caliper in which case, I am better off getting a used one to rebuild.

Restart: what kind of tariff are you gonna slap on that caliper?

restart

Reaction score
Try the mouse milk. Seriously. With all else failing Your situation is ideal for testing. I haven’t tried it but If it’s as good as I heard....
https://www.mousemilk.com
3552ECB0-3573-4317-B97C-B3269ACF2BA5.png
Sorry bav bob to get your hopes up.
I went to look at calipers on that car and it looks spider ran off with them.
88AF8299-192A-4758-AD00-1B281FECDD4F.jpeg
I forgot I took them off and got them ready for next time and they were relegated to a dark corner of the hoard of unpacked parts.
76843AD1-B214-4AD5-B42D-77F9668D12D8.jpeg
The last few years I have driven my cars so little that I occasionally have to swap a caliper for a frozen one. And it doesn’t seem to be getting better...
I just became owner caretaker of 2 more 2800s
and at least one of them has a stuck caliper.
So I am holding on to my hoard.
I am surprised that you of all people with so many parts don’t have a couple stashed away...
You could probably use either side and just bleed it from the hose instead of the nipple on the wrong side.

Sorry sir...

restart

Reaction score
Ps. Re: the tariff. I’ll be Putin it higher pretty quick now eh.
:p
is it true you must get the offending part RED HOT?

My bav calipers are for vented rotors.

I would like to get the disc brake dust boots separately but haven’t seen them sold that way.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got them both apart only to have a fused bleeder screw which I had to drill out. Luckily I had a longer bleeder screw, a 7mm Tap and I may be in business. I would have gladly spent 100 bucks on a used one over the time and frustration I spent.