front brakes

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
does someone has a idea if we have options for the front brakes and still going in a 15" wheel ?
except the oem ones….

I have Wilwood but want to go back to 15" wheels ( they need 16" or larger)
I asked the Dutch E9 rally driver what they use … 530dE60 rotors and Brembo calipers as from a Nissan 350Z... with adaptor pieces of course. But still needed at least 16" wheels….

i would prefer 15" so my tires can be a inch higher ( serie 55...60 ) as compared to my 17" wheels now with serie 40 tires. They already just rub the inner fender and nearly fit the spare wheel well … so bigger diameter tires is a no go.

thanks for ideas !

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i must say that in 15" our tire choices are limited… better is 16" . We have to use street legal tires. So brakes fitting a 16" wheel are also a option...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry, what aspect of braking performance is unsatisfactory?

If it's overheating, have you done the usual race prep with air ducts and modified back-plate?
If it's level of friction,, can you use race pads that have extended upper heat range?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
nono bfeng , i want smaller rims … for higher tires… so i need smaller diameter brakes .
And… i'm not satisfied with the Wilwood brakes…. they wear pads not level …. shimmy etc...

shanon

Reaction score
+1 stock w/ tweaks

-2650lbs car w/ 15" wheels with track rubber & suspension
- stainless breaklines
- racing pads? (Carbotech or stock pads)
- high temp fluid (Ford racing from the dealer)

Do the rally events reach the speeds/braking demands as the track in 20-30mins sessions?

Curious.... I've been very impressed with BMW stock E9 brakes and our recipe

The other tweak/upgrade I've heard to to use 7 series breaks..

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
shanon, track driving demands more of the brakes , sure in the high temperatures. We do not reach that high speeds, 100 mph on a small country road is already exceptional , more, with my gearing it's almost max speed .

Stock brakes aren't bad , but pitty we can't buy them "new"..... rotors yes, but calipers ?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks Keshav , but i want to look further options ….. seems a bit strange to me looking for old calipers for a rally car …. that are NLA....

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
What matters not is that the calipers are used. If you get the bores resleeved and use restored pistons they should work like new calipers.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
3731ED9C-39B8-44E7-8013-22BEB54041EF.png
Looking at Ireland’s big brake setup they use a different front hub.
Anyone have any info on them? Year - model
And do they change the position of the back space/offset of the wheel?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
What matters not is that the calipers are used. If you get the bores resleeved and use restored pistons they should work like new calipers.

looks too me as a loooooong way to go for "new" calipers…… i would prefer something existing and on the shelf…...

shanon

Reaction score
+1 rebuilt calipers

Had mine done years ago at the project's start.

they've been great.

Hth.

What your final drive ? 3.91, 4.10, or higher?

IIRC, we're both running the CR 5spd, correct?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
shanon, i have indeed the dog-leg gear box and not sure about the diff drive …. but 6000 revs is 180 km /h on 245/40/17 tires , the max diameter we can put in there….

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
after speaking with the Dutch E9 rally driver , i'm not going to oem brakes that fit 15" …. for rally , our E9 is "heavy" and can use some bigger brakes.
So only option to change is 16" wheels with serie 50 tires instead of my 17" with serie 40 . That way i can keep the Wilwoods for the moment and have time to look out for a "better" solution.... will change the brake fluid and have a inspection why there's again some shimmy. Half Februari the season starts again… so not that much time. ... safer to keep the car "running" and only change when every part is here and tested.

Now i already bought today secondhand 4 wheels OZ "Fittipaldi" 7.5 x 16" ET15. I must say , those are great , nice clearence with the caliper ! ( no spacers needed , my 17" Schnitzers just,just clear them , had others that need spacers … )

Must look to find some more of those…. or other brand with the same dimensions…
On those i can go 225/50/16 tires and have about the same diameter as my 245/40/17. ( slightly rubbing the inner fender cornering and just going in the spare wheel well... )

SAM_2602.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
That's my oem spare wheel of the 850i … also 7.5 x 16" ET15. But it would need a spacer of a few mm , the rim jams the caliper .

SAM_2599.JPG