Front license plate - how to attach?

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 1973 CS - US VIN but the front bumper only has holes
spaced for European plates. Is this normal or does this mean that
bumper is European sourced. Any solutions? I guess I could work up
a bracket or mount it on a Euro plate. I do not want to drill holes.

Normally I wouldn't even bother, but believe it or not a policeman stopped me in my 635 for not having a front plate (Maryland) - fortunately only a warning since I had the plate in the trunk and claimed it had fallen off. Of course I had been driving that way for over a year since I thought the front plate was less attractive.

Thanks.

MichaelP

Reaction score
They all do that... There's a standard BMW e9 part that hides behind the plate. See item 9 in this diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3425&mospid=47810&btnr=51_3442&hg=51&fg=20

Give your neighborhood BMW parts desk the part numbers. Should be about 10 bucks with all the proper fasteners.

Alternately, it really bugged me to hide that lovely point that the bumper comes to, so I bent some z-shaped brackets out of aluminum bar stock from the hardware store and fastened them to the stock plate holes behind the bumper on my brother Greg's coupe. Connecticut really needs to get better antique plates:

[Broken External Image]:http://home.planetcomm.net/atelier/gregscoupe03.jpg

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Front plate

Thanks Michael - big help. More importantly - I agree and will work on
something that will hang below and not hide bumper.

Many thanks.

gazzol

Reaction score
MichaelP Nice motor!! That rear camber is rude :twisted: !!!! How was it achieved cos the car doesn't look all that low?

MichaelP

Reaction score
It's not my car -- belongs to my brother, Greg. My coupe is unpublishable at the moment...

The rear camber is due to being parked on a lumpy lawn. It doesn't sit like that on tarmac.