Front Passenger window E3 (hand crank, not electric) falls down suddenly while driving.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey gang,

The guy that bought the Bav told me today that his front passenger window just fell down while driving. Not sure if it came out of the track or what? It is a hand crank, not electric window. I have never heard of that happening. Has anyone had this happen? I did a search but didn't see any threads. If so, what is the fix? Thanks for any help in advance.

BavHyena

Reaction score
Hey gang,

The guy that bought the Bav told me today that his front passenger window just fell down while driving. Not sure if it came out of the track or what? It is a hand crank, not electric window. I have never heard of that happening. Has anyone had this happen? I did a search but didn't see any threads. If so, what is the fix? Thanks for any help in advance.
Well, having just replaced my front window, I'd guess that the two bolts that hold the window glass onto the carrier worked themselves loose. Another possibility is that the spring loaded wheel on the end of the lifting arm sheared off. If the bolts worked loose, it's just a matter of re-attaching the window and adjusting for proper operation. If the wheel sheared off, you'd have to replace the whole arm/sector mechanism or, if you like to tinker, could re-attach the wheel using a shoulder bolt or something.
This is assuming the window didn't break when it fell down.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe there is a spring fix on this forum somewhere, may be from deQ. If this is the case, you should still be able to raise and lower the window with the crank but beware to lower while maintaining resistance. Bottom line is it is a simple mechanism, hardest part is getting the arm rest back on thru the door card. BTW, spring may have cracked, you can weld it.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys this will be a big help when I get to this after the rain goes away.
Shoobie welcome bud. Didn’t realize you finally got on here. Congrats. I’ll leave the rest to you regarding the window fix. These guys are awesome and will do everything they can to help with this and anything in the future. Cheers bud.

Oh also……make sure you do a new member introduction and let the guys/gals know you also own a cool coupe.