Front shock towers

Discussion in 'E9 General Discussion' started by rbtrader, May 16, 2018.

1. rbtrader

rbtrader New Member

3212786D-7CA8-4C2C-B534-C0AF1D5C47AB.jpeg F2D0000E-D54F-410A-9A58-7992638322F7.jpeg Why do some E9’s have three bolts coming through the top of the wheel well as a shock tower attachment inside the engine compartment, and others have the three bolts coming through the top of the wheel well and then through a ring before attaching the nuts? Thanks in advance.

2. HB Chris

HB Chris Well-Known Member Site Donor

View My Garage
    The ring was originally below the fender to raise bumpers/headlights to DOT approved levels. Many put them on top of the inner fender to lower the car 5/8”. The alternative is to buy shorter studs or cut the longer studs of the strut bearing and throw the ring into the trash where it belongs.

3. OCCoupe

OCCoupe Well-Known Member Site Donor $

View My Garage
    Those aren't bolts, they are nuts.

4. lloyd

lloyd Active Member

FWIW, this subject was touched upon briefly in this thread>> https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/front-struts.5707/

With respect, US Department Of Transportation regulations may be the predominant reason for spacer use in the US, but this does not account for thin spacers used below the fenders on non-federalized injected E9s. (?) As BillR noted, RealOem lists (spacer) part no. 31 33 1 106 059 which may or may probably not be for European models. Go figure.

5. m_thompson

m_thompson Active Member

I just ordered the shorter studs so I can remove the spacers.