FS: 1972 Bavaria Parts or Project Car in Seattle

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
The car sat in a field for several years, and I purchased it for some internal parts only. I have no knowledge of what state the engine is in. I did lift the valve cover and the internals look clean, but a full flush of the engine and other fluids would be a good place to start. I do believe, however, someone mechanically inclined could get the car running again. The brakes are seized from rust, and so a rebuild of the calipers would be appropriate.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bueller? Bueller? I mean, Markos? Markos?

I talked to the seller on the phone about a month ago. I presume that was you @dspoljaric. That is, unless it changed hands for the third time. I told you that the Epsilon Mesh were worth as much as the car.

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos - I bought the car from the same guy you talked to (not me) and told him to keep the Epsilon wheels that I only wanted the car. He kept the wheels, I got the car and a few interior pieces I needed for my 72. I'd like to keep the car for spare "anything" but I don't have the storage and so I am hoping it will find a home rather than the scrap yard.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos - I bought the car from the same guy you talked to (not me) and told him to keep the Epsilon wheels that I only wanted the car. He kept the wheels, I got the car and a few interior pieces I needed for my 72. I'd like to keep the car for spare "anything" but I don't have the storage and so I am hoping it will find a home rather than the scrap yard.

Ahh - that means you are the third owner in 2 months. Given the timeline, I presume that the previous owner has not titled the car, and you are one bill of sale deep. I recommend that you title the car if you want to keep it, or destroy it. You will need the title for either. The previous sellers are also supposed to report the sale to the DOL within five days. I was able to title my parts car that was two sales deep with an affidavit from the first seller. Washington is actually pretty flexible, but whoever buys it next may not be so lucky. I'm not trying to stifle your effort to unload the car, but discussing stuff like this is a benefit of a forum format.

Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest:
https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420040.pdf

Last edited:

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the WA title from the original owner. In presenting the title to the DMV to verify the procedure, I was told that as long as I don't plan to register the car in WA to drive on the street, I do not have to retitle the car from the current title. Since I have no intention of registering the car, the WA title is clear and ready for whom ever wants to next own the car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the WA title from the original owner. In presenting the title to the DMV to verify the procedure, I was told that as long as I don't plan to register the car in WA to drive on the street, I do not have to retitle the car from the current title. Since I have no intention of registering the car, the WA title is clear and ready for whom ever wants to next own the car.

You can title the car without registering it. It hardly costs anything and makes subsequent sale easy. Registration is expensive. A title transfer is $12 (unless you wait).

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
LOL - perhaps you should you stand in line at the DMV and speak to one of the lovely ladies behind the counter and you would get different information than I did in person! Thanks for the input however.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
In CA having the physical title is most of the value. I've purchased cars with three or four Bill of Sales in it's paper trail without a problem. Sometimes you can just skip them if you have the title but you never know if one of them turned in a release of liability and is now in the system.

Anyway, paperwork sounds fine, hope you find a home for it

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank Dang - I have a collection of BMWs ranging from the 70s to 90s, and I hate to see any of the older ones go to waste/scrap. I'll probably end up keeping her somehow/someway if no one else wants to give her a home.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
In CA having the physical title is most of the value. I've purchased cars with three or four Bill of Sales in it's paper trail without a problem. Sometimes you can just skip them if you have the title but you never know if one of them turned in a release of liability and is now in the system.

Anyway, paperwork sounds fine, hope you find a home for it

Agreed. I forgot to mention one critical point in my situation. Two bill of sales deep and *no title.

Anyway - I hope that someone saves the car! I'm sure some kid off of CL will pick it up on Saturday. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
is that a wood steering wheel?

That isn’t a wood wheel. Wood wheels have steel trim at the end of each spoke. That is a standard wheel with a very old leather cover on it. The brown color is leather - ~30 years of ‘patina’...

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
That isn’t a wood wheel. Wood wheels have steel trim at the end of each spoke. That is a standard wheel with a very old leather cover on it. The brown color is leather - ~30 years of ‘patina’...
good info. I've been trying to decide what to do with mine. maybe leather is the best.

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all - just a brief update - found a young mechanic that feel in love with the old Bavaria and will take on the project to get her running again with the goal to make her a driver! Mission accomplished to save another example from the scrap yard - cheers

Fredomatic

Reaction score
good info. I've been trying to decide what to do with mine. maybe leather is the best.
Duct tape, if you are looking to restore the factory wood steering wheel with 3 spokes, it's not worth it. The wood is actually a veneer which is wrapped around a metal wheel. I removed all the varnish and the veneer flaked apart. In the end, a nice leather wrap brought it back to life. That said, I have my eye out for a unique solid wood wheel to replace it with someday.

Attachments

• IMG_8078.JPG
    IMG_8078.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_8936.JPG
    IMG_8936.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited: