FS - 71 2800cs - Good resto candidate - Calif car

JimMorton

Reaction score
For sale: 1971 2800CS - VIN: 2270370 - 4 Speed, no sunroof, A/C and power windows. Originally dark blue metallic over brown leather. Car was repainted prior to 1991 white with leather dyed black. (See photos).

Nice restoration candidate as this car has always been in California. The said, there are some rust issues, given this listing on the E9 forum, the rust is in some of the usual places, but not all.

There are repairs needed on the drivers side inner fender, just behind both front strut mounts (earlier poorly done patches) and a few spots on the floors.

This car has been off the road and stored since 1991. I bought the car in 1991, sold it to my father in law as a project for him, then recently got it back at the end of 2013. I have too many (7) BMW's and realize that I cannot do this car proud, so I want to find it a good, new owner.

More details and photos below:

Engine:
Still a 2800, but dated 1981 castings. Suspect the engine is a factory crate unit.
Carbs are now Webers, adapted likely when the engine was installed. Carbs still breathe through the stock air cleaner box, so nothing too unsightly.

Drivetrain:
Car drove from the SF Bay Area to just north of Fresno in 1991. It drove quite nicely, but the 4 speed transmission linkage is loose, otherwise no known issues.

Car will not start, suspect starter Bendix is bad. Engine cranks by hand. Borescope shows no issues in the cylinders, still has coolant in the system, oil in the sump. Brakes are working.

I began a cosmetic restoration in 1991, starting with paint stripping the trunk lid. I also removed all the carpet looking for further rust beyond what can be seen during a walk around inspection.

I am asking $8,000, buyer handles all transport costs. I can trailer the car within 100 miles of my home, but not much more.

Photos:

LF-quarter.jpg

LR-quarter.jpg

rear.jpg

engine-left.jpg

engine-right.jpg

dash.jpg

backseat.jpg

I also have some pieces I have picked up as planned for my restoration. In addition to the car, I have proper offset 17 inch Alpina wheels as well as rear disk brakes on 3.0 trailing arms. Interested parties in the car will have first shot at these pieces, assuming this ad generates quick interest.

Please contact me at: [email protected] with questions.

Thanks

Jim Morton
SF Bay Area, CA