c3e32c3b2f5845dc3735f76abb4cab16.jpg
ba0658f826b8a1a79f45f57e2788a055.jpg
999b639b032508389066a0900961f2ef.jpg
dd2bc672bc4add8a4f2bc9363e79d50f.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edit: My apologies for the distraction. Up until these engraved FPS Alpinas showed up on the market last year - nobody on the forum seemed to know that they existed. The FPS Alpinas appear to be the exception not the norm. They look equally beautiful and it is a good lesson for myself and everyone else. For me personally, I should have asked for details or left it alone rather than posting an assumption. As mentioned from the beginning, your asking price is fair for the wheels you are selling. Arguably a very good price given the nice finish on them compared to most 14’s on the market.

The price is fair but please be clear. These aren’t Alpinas. They are BMW factory 14x7 wheels made by FPS. They are available new for $2,000 USD

Last edited:

OKilligan

Reaction score
The price is fair but please be clear. These aren’t Alpinas. They are BMW factory 14x7 wheels made by FPS. They are available new for $2,000 USD

View attachment 37487

View attachment 37488

Again
24 mars 2017 kl. 12:54 skrev export <[email protected]>:

Dear Mr. Tornlycke,

Many thanks for your mail and the picture.

Yes, this is the 14" ALPINA wheel (36 11 601). This was suitable for many models:
2800 CS
2,5 CS
2,8 L
3,0 S / Si
3,0 CS / CSi / CSL
3,0 L
3,3 L / Li
E12
E23
E24
E28

Hope this will help.

Best regards,

Christopher M. Kratzer

Export
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALPINA Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH + Co. KG
Alpenstraße 35-37
D - 86807 Buchloe
Mail: [email protected]
Fon: +49 8241 / 5005 0
Fax: +49 8241 / 5005 155

www.ALPINA.de / Configurator / Facebook / YouTube / www.ALPINAWEIN.de

This message was sent by my Commodore 64

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You asking price is fair regardless of what the Alpina stamp.

Here is 3611601 made by FPS
DE8BCB9F-59D2-4CD4-AF03-7D46C1C95BE7.jpeg

Here is 3611601 made by Ronal with an Alpina logo.
F6C27D98-1E96-4D6A-A933-B98A06F7ADB5.jpeg

People will tell your that only Ronal supplies Alpina wheels but I have found and posted examples of FPS wheels with an engraved Alpina logo. They also included the part number that you reference. A closeup of the wheel center will
clear things up.

The Alpina name is just a brand on another manufacturer’s wheel, be it Ronal or FPS. The wheel is the same quality and look regardless. If you are selling “Alpina” wheels though, they should show the brand on the wheel face.

Last edited:

Simufly

Reaction score
This is a continuation of the "is it isn't it a genuine Alpina wheel".So to summerise what I have found out after extensive research considering ONLY 14x7 spoked wheels for older BMWs. It is a given that the original colour is polaris and the centre satin black. It is not unusual for the black to extend by a few mm onto the front face of the wheel

1st generation. only 5 mounting holes. Alpina in raised lettering on the front face. Not made by Ronal.
2nd generation. 5 mounting holes plus 5 extra smaller holes. Alpina in raised lettering. Made by Ronal.
3rd generation. Ditto Ditto. FPS in raised lettering.
4th generation. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. PLUS Alpina engraved on face.
5th generation. Ditto. Ditto. FPS raised lettering. Ridged spokes
6th generation. Ditto. Ditto. Alpina in raised lettering. Not made by Ronal.

It seems clear that the second generation is considered the "correct classic e9" wheel (shod with 195/70 XWX!)
There are subtle differences in design (and colour) between all the different generations of wheel, the most obvious being the fifth gen ones with the ridged spokes which went on to much later models. The current ones available from W&N are the 6th gen mentioned above. I cant remember who makes them but I suspect it is BBS. Confirmed below BBS is the maker!
The value of each generation depends of course on condition, but if we assume a base line of excellent condition straight and unbuckled, then gen 2 are the most valuable, gen 5 the least. As with all things any item is worth what someone will pay for it. The prices asked seem to vary, and of course they do not come to the market often. A straw pole shows the US appears to be the highest, UK next and Europe the lowest. Of course the shipping costs are a very considerable extra if the wheels have to travel over water so although a set in the US is an OK price, by the time the shipping and the exchange rate are factored in the deal becomes a non starter.
What price originality?
The "system" has editted my post to remove the intended spaces between the ditto. Sorry.

Last edited:

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Walloth-Nesch are made by BBS according to their picture, with the old Alpina number 3611601.

WuN_Alpina_1.jpg

WuN_Alpina_2.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for validating. My apologies for doubting your ad. These are the rather rare FPS Alpinas with the engraved logo. Your date code picture also helps other understand the period in which these arrived.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1st generation. only 5 mounting holes. Alpina in raised lettering on the front face. Not made by Ronal.
2nd generation. 5 mounting holes plus 5 extra smaller holes. Alpina in raised lettering. Made by Ronal.

It seems clear that the second generation is considered the "correct classic e9" wheel (shod with 195/70 XWX!)

The value of each generation depends of course on condition, but if we assume a base line of excellent condition straight and unbuckled, then gen 2 are the most valuable,
Hi Simufly,

My 14 x 7 Alpinas are what you have termed '1st Generation' with just the 5 mounting holes. Are these not 'correct' for my 73 CSi? What makes them less valuable than the 2nd Generation wheel?

If anyone has an extra 14 x 7 Alpina I would like to buy one for my spare.

Cheers!
Dan

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
HOW DO THE ABOVE PICTURED WHEELS DIFFER FROM THE OEM 7.5 CSL WHEEELS
THAT I HAVE
THEY SEEM TO LOOK THE SAME
IS IT ONE MORE SPOKE?

Simufly

Reaction score
Hi Simufly,

My 14 x 7 Alpinas are what you have termed '1st Generation' with just the 5 mounting holes. Are these not 'correct' for my 73 CSi? What makes them less valuable than the 2nd Generation wheel?

Cheers!
Dan
NERD ALERT!
Yes they are "correct" however the normal CSi wheels supplied from the factory are 14x6, either Petrini or FPS depending on delivery date. 14x 7 wheels were probably a Hoffman or dealer option. The standard fit for the CSl was 14x7 Alpina either gen 1 or 2 again depending on delivery date.
What makes the 2nd gen more valuable than Gen 1? Its a view based on market results over the last ten years. I have only seen two sets of gen 1 Alpina, against 15 or so sets of Gen 2 so the results do not stand up to scientific analysis. Gen 2 set consistently made higher prices than Gen 1 sets.
Simon

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Simufly,

Cheers!
Dan

The CSI never came with 14x7 Alpina wheels. Late models may have come with 14x6 FPS wheels (Not the same as the Alpinas being sold here). With that said, keep your five hole Alpinas. They are the most valuable and sought after 14’s you can buy.

THAT I HAVE
IS IT ONE MORE SPOKE?

All of the wheels in question have 20 spikes. CSL’s never came with 7.5” Alpinas.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
NERD ALERT!
Yes they are "correct" however the normal CSi wheels supplied from the factory are 14x6, either Petrini or FPS depending on delivery date. 14x 7 wheels were probably a Hoffman or dealer option. The standard fit for the CSl was 14x7 Alpina either gen 1 or 2 again depending on delivery date.
What makes the 2nd gen more valuable than Gen 1? Its a view based on market results over the last ten years. I have only seen two sets of gen 1 Alpina, against 15 or so sets of Gen 2 so the results do not stand up to scientific analysis. Gen 2 set consistently made higher prices than Gen 1 sets.
Simon

Thanks for the explanation, Simon!

I am treating this as good news. It sounds to me like I have CSL 14 x 7 five hole Gen 1 Alpinas.

Life is good! :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
THAT I HAVE
IS IT ONE MORE SPOKE?
Alan, are you sure that they are really 14" x 7.5" ??? maybe i am wrong, but i thought that CSL wheels were 14" x 7" ...

restart

Reaction score
I see there are some wheels that have Alpina RAISED letters
and some with INDENTED letters.
I didn’t see an discussion on that issue here, did I miss that?

Another question..
Is this thread saying that some Alpina wheels have NO Alpina letters?

One more question please...
You can see the wheel below is rough. Do you think it is worth trying , or even possible to save it?
21B5B65F-5BB4-4E07-BD28-EA0F1DC847AE.jpeg

D3F42E62-7D58-44B8-823A-F08E12DCF453.jpeg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i may be wrong as i just thought the offset of the lip made them wider
again whats diff w/ alpina
more spokes?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yea exciting i want more