SOLD: Eight Blade Red Cooling Fan

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Later style eight blade cooling fan. Good condition a bit of surface rust from pealing paint in the center were the clutch mounts. Easily fixed

ED90927F-D3BB-4606-84D3-28D492853369.jpeg
CCBE4D5C-59CF-4065-8078-C7C11A174163.jpeg
18317101-0C65-4B63-8D61-066B93E76FEB.jpeg
69FF4FB4-B370-4FB8-8830-1500A7C8FBEE.jpeg

Last edited:

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does everyone know that you can buy a new black, cheap one and paint it with SEM Color Coat Flexible paint in Flame Red #15373 and I defy you to tell the difference. I have a used, red, original BMW one but all the ones that I have seen have cracks at the base of some of the fins from age, heat and centrifugal force. If one of those lets go under speed it's Good Bye radiator and other nearby equipment. Be sure to check the base of each fin to make sure there are no hairline cracks.
Regards, Jon

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does everyone know that you can buy a new black, cheap one and paint it with SEM Color Coat Flexible paint in Flame Red #15373 and I defy you to tell the difference. I have a used, red, original BMW one but all the ones that I have seen have cracks at the base of some of the fins from age, heat and centrifugal force. If one of those lets go under speed it's Good Bye radiator and other nearby equipment. Be sure to check the base of each fin to make sure there are no hairline cracks.
Regards, Jon
Nice to know that you can paint them to match your screwdrivers. ;)
BTW I checked. No cracks. If there were I would not have listed it for sale.

Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Regards, Jon
I was not aware newer ones fit, thanks! What gen would that be from?
I don't think color makes it function any worse, I'll leave it black. :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need to be careful as most black fans I’ve seen require the later spin-on viscous clutch and the pulley for these does not fit the square mounting holes orientation On the early water pumps. Later motors like b35 have a pulley with rectangular orientation as the PS is driven from the crank and not the water pump.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 2 engines, an M30B34 Euro and an M106 Turbo both have the viscous fan clutch and are compatible with the modern black fan. The SEM paint I called out is for flexible surfaces and formulated for something that flexes like a plastic fan blade. I've run Sahara, the 72, for approximately 6 years with no degrading of the paint or color and Sixto, the 74, has had one installed for 2+ years. My major concern is how well the fans cool the radiator and to me a more modern fan that looks period correct in motion trumps having one that pushes less air and has a higher failure rate. I drive both Coupes a lot on back roads and freeways and want to eliminate the chance of a failure, especially with passengers.

Regards, Jon