Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi. I have access to an Alpina Valve Cover selling for $1200 plus shipping
20181123_150527.jpg
20181123_150558.jpg
20181123_150627.jpg
20181123_150647.jpg
and also the aluminum piece that goes between the tail lights,new with repaired dent selling for $200 plus shipping.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Harry,

I’m sorry to say that I don’t think that is a legitimate Alpina valve cover. Alpina made an m30 valve cover for the e34-based B10 Bi-Turbo that said “Alpina” only. They also had another for the biturbo that said “bmw alpina”. They did not make an “Alpina BMW” cover as far as I know. Also, the valve cover does not have the extra studs in the middle of the cover. Those
studs are for the MAF, which would cover the Alpina logo. During the time of the big clunky MAF, Alpina had Their logo embossed on the intake and/or badges on the airbox.

I don’t claim to be an expert on these, and would be thrilled to have you prove otherwise. I’ve been looking for one for a long time, and turned down opportunity to buy a real one for $1,000 (which is too much for a valve cover that nobody will ever believe is real. :D).

80A2D17A-31AC-47F7-AAC3-4B52DAE89260.jpeg
02EE50C9-560E-4CE4-8D14-ED04A56DA36A.jpeg

EE45A267-46CE-4E6F-8D70-137990D60562.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Harry,

I’m sorry to say that I don’t think that is a legitimate Alpina valve cover. Alpina made an m30 valve cover for the e34-based B10 Bi-Turbo that said “Alpina” only. They also had another for the biturbo that said “bmw alpina”. They did not make an “Alpina BMW” cover as far as I know. Also, the valve cover does not have the extra studs in the middle of the cover. Those
studs are for the MAF, which would cover the Alpina logo. During the time of the big clunky MAF, Alpina had Their logo embossed on the intake and/or badges on the airbox.

I don’t claim to be an expert on these, and would be thrilled to have you prove otherwise. I’ve been looking for one for a long time, and turned down opportunity to buy a real one for $1,000 (which is too much for a valve cover that nobody will ever believe is real. :D).

View attachment 55710 View attachment 55711
View attachment 55712
Markos
Is it true that BMW in the early stages had objected that Alpina modified BMw can not be titled or registered as BMW ?

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
THEN WHERE IS IT FROM
DID SOMEONE JUST MAKE IT UP FROM A MOLD???????????!!!!!!!!!1

Alan,

It is quite common for people to modify an existing manifold. They machine the ribs away and adhere an alpina logo. I’ve never held a fake or original in my hand.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos
Is it true that BMW in the early states had objected that Alpina modified BMw can not be titled or registered as BMW ?

I’m not sure Tony. History isn’t my thing, and I don’t like to speculate. I’m sure some of the BMW historians on the site would know. I know that Alpina was in business for years before they became an official manufacturer. I could certainly see how individual states could have tunnel vision when Alpinas looked like just like a BMW.

I’ve watched this amateur documentary and quite like it. I don’t know enough about Alpina’s history to comment on the accuracy though:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it would be easy to tell if the letters were cast on or stuck on
I bought the stick on letters and decided against doing it, personally I decided they would look a little cheesy
If they are stuck on they would meet the main surface at a 90 degree angle, if cast there would be a little fillet

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edit... if it is painted it would be possible to disguise the joint of letter to main surface

wab_jr

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi. I have access to an Alpina Valve Cover selling for $1200 plus shipping View attachment 55706 View attachment 55707 View attachment 55708 View attachment 55709 and also the aluminum piece that goes between the tail lights,new with repaired dent selling for $200 plus shipping.

I am interested in the aluminum trim panels.
Please email me: [email protected]
I am new to the e9 coupe forum, having purchased a golf 72 csi, and cannot figure out if there is a pm function.
Thanks
Billy

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Billy, there is a PM function, but a little odd, you go to a persons profile, then 'information', then 'start a conversation'

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
no way those letters are stuck on
thats cast in place

I’m pretty certain that they are stuck on. Not with tape but a JB-Weld like epoxy. Unless this person has inexpensive access to a foundary, they are not cast.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As a side line observer, it appears to me that the "ALPINA" letters have a stronger shadow line than the fins and the "BMW" letters. This may suggest that these have been applied as discussed above. That would be my assumption just from photographic observation.
no way those letters are stuck on
thats cast in place
EDIT: on further observation, I am confident the ALPINA has been "applied". The letter spacing is closer than the ALPINA logo standards provide. And I am certain that ALPINA would not have cast the last A so close to the fins. It looks cool, but I do not believe it is original. :(

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The real run-on question is: Do you think that a detail oriented German automotive firm could possibly succumb to an unbalanced valve cover with one horizontal bar below the logo and two above?

As a side line observer, it appears to me that the "ALPINA" letters have a stronger shadow line than the fins and the "BMW" letters. This may suggest that these have been applied as discussed above. THat would be by assumption just from photographic observation.

Very diplomatic of you!

Perhaps we should zoom in 1000% and alter the photo with photoshop. :D

66E06B19-0C14-4124-9B33-34C67FE6AFA2.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The real run-on question is: Do you think that a detail oriented German automotive could possibly succumb to an unbalanced valve cover with one horizontal bar below the logo and two above?

Very diplomatic of you!

Perhaps we should zoom in 1000% and alter the photo with photoshop. :D

View attachment 55996
Oh jeez! I looked right past that. Short answer: no.

Rek

Reaction score
It could have been reproduced - I met a man selling a car a while back who had some very high quality alloy Alpina Intake boxes which looked brand new. He said that he made them with a friend. Thats said if this was the case with these covers there would be a whole heap of them on cars around the world.

The shadow point is probably because the cover is curved. The design point can be attributed to making the Alpina name stand out from BMW. If this was the desired effect then it works. The effort required to make this look as convincing as it is for just $1,200 is disproportionate to make it worthwhile. It's not a Faberge Egg.

My gut feel is that it is real but only used for a while or on a few cars before they decided the change it. If so then it's rare and probably worth more than the advertised price.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm only chiming in because I noticed that there is an extremely thick coating of crinkle-finish on the VC, not because I know anything about the castings or history of Alpina. I guess it looks cool but at 1200.00 I know a pretty good gentleman's club that would provide a slightly racier experience... but I digress- sorry.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My gut feel is that it is real but only used for a while or on a few cars before they decided the change it. If so then it's rare and probably worth more than the advertised price.

If you or anyone can show me a picture of an Alpina car with this valve cover I would change my tune. Keep in mind we are looking for a car with an Alpina logo partially under the Mass Airflow Sensor.

I could make the same valve cover with a dremmel and JB Weld for $100.

B35 Valve Cover:
25927327-0F30-4694-B5F0-230B6BD92CE6.jpeg

Aluminum Alpina Logo:
BDD1B8B9-66CE-4156-ABA9-5F4F8D35EC2C.jpeg