FS: rebuilt Motronic ECU

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all. I recently purchased this like-new rebuilt ECU from Bert for a friend, only to find out that my friend does not have Motronic ignition. EM6003, or 0059 ECU. I've attached photos of the unit as it has arrived to me from Bert. And here's a link to Bert's offering of it for reference. Consider me an accidental intermediary. :)

As I understand it, this unit was rebuilt, but never installed. It sat on a shelf for a number of years - like a NOS rebuilt unit.?.

DSC_0871.JPG DSC_0872.JPG DSC_0873.JPG DSC_0874.JPG DSC_0876.JPG DSC_0878.JPG DSC_0877.JPG

Offering it for the same $165 shipped. I (my friend) will eat the shipping cost to you. Thank you!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Going to bump this once, hoping someone here is interested. Else, I'll be listing it on eBay. Thanks!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

I have a Motronic 1.0 (I think) with a 3.8+ liter engine. Will this ECU function well in my car? If it will, I'm interested and would use it in the car, and keep my current one as a back up.

Gary--

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Gary,
I am an accidental custodian of this ECU - I have carbs on my car. Unfortunately, I don't have a strong depth of understanding of what system(s) it will work well with. I am hoping an expert on the forum can contribute here. I can provide any additional information, numbers, etc that anyone needs from the unit or paperwork.

Not sure if this helps, but it looks like it was from and intended to be used in a 1986 635CSi (12/85 build date).

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi @Gary Knox , have you learned anything yet about whether this unit is a good fit for your car?

(yes, this public post is a thinly veiled attempt to get another, more knowledgeable forum member to chime in and say "yes, that would be a perfect fit".) ;):D

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, the S38b36 US M5 used Motronic 1.2. The Bosch 0059 is Motronic 1.0 with 28 pins used in the 85-87 e24 635CSi M30b34. Where is a Don when we need him?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bosch 0059 is Motronic 1.0 with 28 pins used in the 85-87 e24 635CSi M30b34. Where is a Don when we need him?
I am sure I need @sfdon for a lot more than just this topic. But yes, his input would be greatly appreciated. @Gary Knox, per your comments above, it sounds like you have Motronic 1.0.?. I assume your 3.8 liter engine is bored (and stroked) out, rather than an S38 engine?

I would try the www.mye28.com
forum. Many members there know this ECU very well.
I've never been over there, but if this ECU doesn't work out for Gary, perhaps I can try to offer it there.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bosch 0059 is Motronic 1.0 with 28 pins
I just looked closely at the unit I have here. It has 35 pins. Not sure if that is different, but I get the impression that it is still considered a 28 pin device?

Also just found some additional information that seems to apply (almost too well):
M1.0 (adaptive), 28 pin - Bosch # 0261200059.
Originally fitted to E24 1985 - 1987.
Will also fit: E28 535i 1985 - 1987 and E23 735i 1984 - 1987.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This should be a wonderful rebuilt ecu for a stock engine. Correct timing and fuel maps for a low compression, low smog, good gas mileage factory original 3.5 mid 1980’s engine.
Anything else - not good.
Stroked, bored, cammed, headers need not apply.
Why are they in demand? Because they famously crack their solder joints.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/...quot-ECU-solved-engine-running-problem-(long)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well Gary, it sounds like this unit is not a good fit for your car. If you agree, I am going to list it on eBay.
Thanks all!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

As you know I'm in the 'warmer west' (temps about 15 degrees below their historic averages for this and the past 2-3 weeks) for another 10 days or so. Thus, I can't check the number of pins on my ECU. Yes - engine is an e30 with 1.0 Motronic (as I understand) and had a new 3.5 block bored and stroked for about 275 hp with later (non octopus) fuel injection.

Since I can't really commit to it, and sfdon says it won't really function well with my system - gonna' have to pass.

Cheers, and thanks to ALL for their learned counsel.

Gary

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

As you know I'm in the 'warmer west' (temps about 15 degrees below their historic averages for this and the past 2-3 weeks) for another 10 days or so. Thus, I can't check the number of pins on my ECU. Yes - engine is an e30 with 1.0 Motronic (as I understand) and built from a new 3.5 block to about 275 hp with later (non octopus) fuel injection.

Since I can't really commit to it, and sfdon says it won't really function well with my system - gonna' have to pass.

Cheers, and thanks to ALL for their learned counsel.

Gary
Of course. Thank you for helping me learn more about this little box.
Mmmmmmm, 275 hp. :cool:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The return policy from our fellow members has been rather disappointing lately. :(