Fuel System rehab

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Before attempting to start my latest acquisition I decided to go through the fuel system. As you can see I removed the fuel tank and have it with the folks to boil it out.
I was surprised to see the trunk area silver?:confused: I guess Fjord Blue is not the original color?

David

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 279

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I pulled out the fuel pump and the fuel accumulator. The pump was not working so I dismantled it and cleaned the internals. Low and behold it works fine now.
The accumulator looks rough but is cleaning up. I may have it powder coated?

p.s. I can't seem to load more than one photo at a time?

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 236

jmackro

Reaction score
I was surprised to see the trunk area silver?:confused: I guess Fjord Blue is not the original color?

David:

Are you suggesting that silver is your car's original color, and not Fjord, because there is a stripe of silver beneath the gas tank lip? I'm no expert on CS coupe bodies, and it's a little tough to see the detail in the photo you posted, but I'm skeptical.

1) If the trunk area was repainted silver-->fjord, I would expect to see overspray on the tank - if the painter was too lazy to pull out the tank, they would probably also be too lazy to mask it.

2) It is pretty hard to completely obliterate a car's original color. If you haven't found traces of silver underhood, behind the dash (look through the hood lever&fuse access door), etc - if those places are all fjord - then the factory probably painted it fjord.

3) Send an email to Andreas Harz at BMW and he'll tell you your car's original color.

Last point: What's that thing that looks like a brake fluid canister at the center of the first picture you posted?

Bertocchi

Reaction score
David:

Send an email to Andreas Harz at BMW and he'll tell you your car's original color.

Last point: What's that thing that looks like a brake fluid canister at the center of the first picture you posted?

Do you have an email address for Mr. Harz?

That is a 3" socket there to keep the gas lines from falling down and siphoning gas on to the garage floor. My girlfriend is already giving me a hard time about the old stale gasoline smell in the garage.

Further investigation shows blue overspray on the brake lines and inner door panels. I am slowly convincing myself that the car was originally silver.

The brakes are rusted tight. The worst case I have ever come across. I have a master cylinder from a race car that I am going to use to make a device to loosen them up. I ordered rebuild kits for everything from Maximillian today!

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 197

Bwana

Reaction score
I had similar brake corrosion issues with my recently purchased '72 CSi. I was able to get the pistons out with compresses air though (110 psi). 3 in 1 oil around the seals helped a lot. Be very careful though, the pistons will pop out with enough force to bruise your fingertips if you are holding the calipers worng (DAMHIK)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is the contact info to get your build date and paint color:

[email protected]

Be sure to post the build date in the registry.

Rebuilt brake calipers are available and very affordable, yours are so bad you may end up with a much bigger task and expense. Your coupe must have been Polaris, the evidence in the trunk is pretty clear.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Rebuilt brake calipers are available and very affordable, yours are so bad you may end up with a much bigger task and expense. Your coupe must have been Polaris, the evidence in the trunk is pretty clear.

Where do I find rebuilt calipers?

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Autozone has them. About $56 each for front calipers and $53. for the rears (+ your cores). Check online.

Boy if that is the case the rebuild kits are $42 + for the rears and have to come from Germany. Thanks for the "heads up".
I have been working in the Italian Car World for the last 30+ years where nothing comes from Autozone, My Bad.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Boy if that is the case the rebuild kits are $42 + for the rears and have to come from Germany.

I bought rebuild kits from Walloth & Nesch during at trip to Germany. Front kits were about $28.85 and rear kits are about $19.50. I also bought new pistons and bleeder valves.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I went to Autozone today and the good news is that they can get rebuilt front calipers for me for $59.65. The bad news is that the vendor is out of stock for the rears:cry: I asked if they could ship my cores to the vendor for rebuild and they said they would inquire?

Thanks to HBChris for the tip. I wish I was going to Germany and could pick up a suitcase full of spares.

Update; Autozone found a passenger's side rear at another store but no drivers. They do not offer a rebuild service for takeoffs?

Last edited:

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Well the fuel tank has been boiled, primed, and painted. All fuel lines have been replaced and a new fuel filter installed.
The caliper saga continues. Autozone said they could not get rears...right. My fronts came in and one was actually a rear? Now they can not get right front rebuilt calipers? Their rebuilts are very nice and have new pistons. I can rebuild my own but won't have new pistons not to mention how inexpensive it is to buy rebuilt. I will try pamps people next.

David

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 168

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice job on the tank. Where did you have it done and what did it cost??

John

Bertocchi

Reaction score
For the first time in many years (20 according to the previous owner) my car runs on its' own. Having replaced all the fuel lines, rebuilt the pump, and a gas tank redo it took a while for the fuel system to bleed itself but once that was done it ran fairly nice. Smooth engine.
The cold start valve works but has no signal to it so I hot wired it. I am now reading up on D jetronic. :-D

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Unbelievable!

Well I am officially discouraged! :cry: I really thought today would finally be the day I drove my car. I bled the brakes three times and was cleaning up when I noticed a very minor drip under the right rear caliper. The Autozone/Fenco caliper was leaking!
I called Autozone. The caliper is no longer available! They sent my cores to Fenco which I believe is in Ohio? They can't get them back nor can they replace the bad caliper with "the Autozone lifetime warranty". I can not seem to find a telephone number for Fenco.
Then I decided to button up the front. The right front caliper would not accept the pins and spring clips I purchased new from Bavarian Autosports. Turns out that caliper is for a car with solid rotors! Left front is correct.
Between Maximillian and Autozone I have been banging my head against the wall for nearly a month. Plus all my neighbors think I don't know what the hell I am doing. This is frustrating to say the least. :evil:

shanon

Reaction score
Oh no! sorry to hear your drama.

If your at wits end, try giving Mesa Performance a jingle. I sent all my calipers to them for rebuilding and am very happy with the results.
They may be able to sort your set out with the proper ones from their inventory/stash.

HTH
-shanon