Fun with parts

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this so here we have it. I did some parts substituting and came up with a couple decent substitutions. The relay idea belongs to someone on this forum because I'm not creative enough to have thought of it by myself, but I also can't credit anyone for it because I forgot who told me about it way back when. The vent replacement/substitution came out of a conversation with Dr. Drew and works really well as I mentioned in another thread.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 234
  • vents.jpg
    vents.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 246
  • relay1.jpg
    relay1.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 206
  • relay2.jpg
    relay2.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 204
  • relay3.jpg
    relay3.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 223

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I too stole that relay idea from somebody here, and cannot remember who it was.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did one years ago, not sure if I posted it here, the issue is the prongs become shorter when going through the bottom board of the can, I would try cutting a square in the can board the size of the relay and gluing it in so it is flush. Also check that the polarity of the new relay is the same as the Hella can, sometimes they are different and you'll need to change the spades in the socket accordingly.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Way back-when I re-did the Polaris coupe- some of you may have seen the thread (the car stunk of mold) part of the re-doing was eradicating that issue and so truly every piece of the car had to come apart. When I removed the original door cards I noticed the "welt", which was missing on my blue car. Since I'm going through everything now here on the blue car (again) I decided to add that because I think it will provide some additional insulation from the road noise and it looks better (IMO). I think on any 2+ owner car the welt stands a good chance of being tossed so I had my upholstery guy sew me two 10 ft lengths :)

Attachments

• door welt.jpg
    door welt.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 175
  • door welt1.jpg
    door welt1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 176

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did one years ago, not sure if I posted it here, the issue is the prongs become shorter when going through the bottom board of the can, I would try cutting a square in the can board the size of the relay and gluing it in so it is flush. Also check that the polarity of the new relay is the same as the Hella can, sometimes they are different and you'll need to change the spades in the socket accordingly.

Yeah, if I remember correctly our cars were built before they standardized the poles on these types of relays, and while the newer relays fit, they do not operate correctly because two of the sockets in our relays are in different places. You can change the wires in the socket to correspond to the modern relay pattern.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Chris- which ones in particular?? I'm sure that in my efforts to do something cool I actually screwed some things up- ugh!

BTW- Mine s a 74

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chris- which ones in particular?? I'm sure that in my efforts to do something cool I actually screwed some things up- ugh!

BTW- Mine s a 74

I will look. Mine is a 72 and the sockets do not conform to the standard usage on the relays today.