Garage Floor Treatments / Covers

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading cement my garage floor. I've seen lots of mats, interlocking tiles, and various paints on the market. Anyone have any strong recommendation for or against any of these products? I'm sort of leaning toward an epoxy paint or similar. I'd kind of like some color too... :?:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The epoxy with the flecks is excellent. The only downside is that you need to clean up oil spills fairly quickly, or it will ruin the finish.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
We just epoxied our 4500sqft shop floor. We also did the base coat color with color chips, then we went back over it with clear. Turned out really good except for some areas of paint chips going on inconsistently. The majority of the work, as always, is in the preparation. Its also easy to "repair" areas when needed (clean, paint, sprinkle, etc...).

We used Durall Epoxy products and had it shipped to our door.

http://www.concrete-floor-coatings.com/

Dan

pj

Reaction score
JJ , We install RaceDeck Flooring,so I would reccomend that over the epoxy floor system. The Epoxy will more than likely fail whereas the race deck easier to install (read 4-5 hrs) you can get better color combos , non toxic, is not slippery when wet , drains water from the floor surface . If anything does happen you can unzip the tiles and replace the damaged one.They are made in the US. Easy Cleanup.But if you like the epoxy look just be real anal with the prep and make sure its bone dry before you apply the epoxy.
Have fun with it, any questions PM me

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It sounds like a start with an epoxy base and then tiles as I move forward - makes sense.

Prep is clearly h=the hard part. In fact, getting everything out of the garage is the biggest hassle. I figure once everything is out I'll give it a good powerwash (and special treatments for a few minor problem spots). THen I'll need a good drying period; I'll pick a hot day and use fans and then pain in the evening.