gas tank filler flap removal

PaulinPa

Reaction score
OK got the 3 nuts off and some of the rubber peeled away but this puppy still won't come off.I am doing a fine job of scratching up the paint tho.Is there a mystery/hidden 4th nut?

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha ha, Isn't that just a mongrel of a job!!!!, It just about drove me to drink when I took mine off! I think from memory there is only the 3 nuts but to get it off the flap has to be sort of half open (which is real hard because of the spring and the fact it's unbolted) I suggest walking away from it for 30 mins, go and have several stiff drinks and have another go
(lots of masking tape around and on the flap will help to stop scratching of paint)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Caution--be careful not to bend it

The gas lid is made of diecast (pot metal to some) and it will bend--then too much effort to straighten same and it will snap--

just ask Mikey he knows--Mike Goertz that is--at Concorso Italiano in 2002--sorry Mike I won't forget that unfortunate "accident" to the Green Monster--especially after two of us had cautioned of that potential hazard (;>)

Malc

Reaction score
Suggestion:
Put the nuts back on
open the flap
remove the nuts
rotate through 90 degrees out of the hole
Well that's what I did!
In the immortal Haynes manual phrase assembly is the reverse of....
HTH
Malc

P

poadb

To put it back is even more difficult, if you are unlucky it will snap and the piant will be scratched. Be very careful.