Gear stick knob question...

damienh

Reaction score
Hi all, my gear stick knob (standard plain wood type) keeps falling off. Can anyone tell me how it is meant to be held in place ? I need to know if it's broken before having it refurbished to match my dash.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Damien

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mostly threaded. Is there a plastic cover/ insert left behind when you pull off the wood knob? If so, it’s threaded to the shaft and got unstuck to the wood?

damienh

Reaction score
Thanks for the lightning fast response Keshav. The plastic seems to be intact inside the knob. I guess the threads have been worn away if that's the case ?

Is this salvageable with some kind of adhesive or would that be a bodge ? I haven't really got time to get a new one before sending off the woodwork for restoration.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is not too difficult to use a sleeve for this. Look at solutions like "Helicoil". Perhaps expensive for one thread, but all is doable.
What size thread & Pitch is it? M12? M14?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the lightning fast response Keshav. The plastic seems to be intact inside the knob. I guess the threads have been worn away if that's the case ?

Is this salvageable with some kind of adhesive or would that be a bodge ? I haven't really got time to get a new one before sending off the woodwork for restoration.

Is the metal gear shaft threaded? If so, then the thread in the plastic insert/ gear knob have worn out. You could also take some tape (like what the plumbers use to seal threads) and twist it back on. If there’s no thread on the shaft, then you have a push type.......

erneland

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a STP-file (the insert in the gear knob) that can be 3D-printed. If you know anyone with a 3D-printer I can supply the drawing for free ;). Need to make sure that the dimensions are correct though.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a STP-file (the insert in the gear knob) that can be 3D-printed. If you know anyone with a 3D-printer I can supply the drawing for free ;). Need to make sure that the dimensions are correct though.

I need to print a big expensive piece in nylon soon. I can include some of these in the batch. Nylon uses the same bucket of powder for a single customer order so prices go down when you add stuff. I’ll probably throw in a face plate and some relay blocks also.