Glas GT V8 Frua Prototype

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score

dj_efk

Reaction score
Why was that never put into production?!

Reminds me of an Alpha Romeo Montreal - I guess BMW we’re thinking they would be going after the same type of buyer (except a few years before the Alpha)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know anything about these particular cars but I'll be at Retromobile so if anyone wants me to put real eys on it, happy to oblige.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMW Pete , one for your collection?
You know me Stan :) I was on it, but I am in the middle of trying to do a deal on another car, so I couldn't justify this at the same time mate, but with what it went for, if I dont get the other car, I will be gutted

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's a very cool car. But other than a few roundels and the tiny kidney grill nothing about it says "BMW" to me. The earlier frua coupes based on e3/e9 chassis are much more desirable IMHO.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know the car is rare and expensive, and I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I just don't find it attractive...

24946961-1-1.jpgtmpheadlinetop.435left.1633right.8467bottom.jpg

The design doesn't look very well integrated. I think it's mostly the rear quarter. Too heavy looking and just doesn't fit with the rest of the shape. The windshield forward also looks out of proportion. Too long?

Pietro Frua did some beautiful cars....

1968-ac-frua-coupe-for-sale-in-missouri-photo-gallery_10.jpg

th.jpg

feae8dff5020c16cc68924d0135d7823.jpg

But I think he missed on this one.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know the car is rare and expensive, and I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I just don't find it attractive...

View attachment 85997

The design doesn't look very well integrated. I think it's mostly the rear quarter. Too heavy looking and just doesn't fit with the rest of the shape. The windshield forward also looks out of proportion. Too long?

Pietro Frua did some beautiful cars....

View attachment 85998

View attachment 85999

View attachment 86000

But I think he missed on this one.
I like it and at the same time see what Dick S. is getting at. Reminds me of an Avanti. And yes, the other Fruas he posted are much better proportioned.

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it’s the rear quarter glass treatment. The rear quarter glass should have been extended another 6 inches.
But what do Iknow?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is probably the most beautiful Frua designed car that I have ever seen that is not owned by Ski Coach. Were I to be chasing a Frua, I would have to consider a Mistral.

Comparing this to the prototype, I like the way the way the belt line drops down aft of the door and the more expansive hatch glass. Taken together, these elements make for more appealing look.

IMG_1323.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why was that never put into production?!

Reminds me of an Alpha Romeo Montreal - I guess BMW we’re thinking they would be going after the same type of buyer (except a few years before the Alpha)

In response to dj_efk’s question, I think two factors led to the decision not to produce the V8 Frua.

First, prior to the mid-1960s, BMW struggled seeking to target an elite and very wealthy clientele. BMW produced several well engineered and beautiful V8 powered cars in the 1950s, but neither the V8 powered 502s sold in the mid-1950s, nor the 503/507s offered in the later 1950s sold well. Indeed, BMW was reported to have lost money on every 503/507 sold. Similarly, the gorgeous V8 powered BMW 3200 CS “Bertone,” which I view as the car that provided the design language BMW used to create our cars, did not sell well in the early 1960s and remained in production for only two years.

The other factor was the success of the Neu Klass models, which debuted with the Bertone at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1961. Not only did these smaller and less luxurious cars sell well, they were profitable because their four cylinder engines were much less expensive to produce. These cars began the process whereby BMW carved out a place in the market as the seller of well engineered, sporty, practical cars.