Glovebox re-flocking

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to DIY? This company provides the stuff:

http://www.donjer.com/products.htm

Any special things to look out for when prepping our boxes? I stupidly dripped some waxoil back there a long time ago and I'd like it gone.

Some of the muscle car forums have posts on it:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155891

P4200001.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

this is your next opportunity to rival deQuincey's photo essays on how to do something on our coupes.

happy new year everyone!
scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you can do it Steve ... give it a whirl. tip - don't forget to clean + trim your fingernails. or get your wife to be a hand model.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
you can do it Steve ... give it a whirl. tip - don't forget to clean + trim your fingernails. or get your wife to be a hand model.

boooooh, if steve is getting additional help from other forum members ;-), this contest is fraudulent !:lol:

yes steve, go on, i will follow your path if the result is good...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like I'm the guinea pig for this one...will look at it after finishing my center console gauge project and all the other stuff I have bookmarked

Last edited:

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm still around! Been rebuilding my M30B35. Flocking is pretty straight forward. I bought a flocking gun and installed it in my blasting cabinet. Got all the supplies from https://www.craftflocking.com/. No surprise, prep is everything. I'm sure you'll do a great job. BTW, thx for AC posts.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
GUINEA PIG FOR SALE. Friendly, house broken, etc. Seriously, I have a glove box with good vinyl and chrome. The flocking is toast. The metal hardware is bad.

Low ball me. I would love to see it go to a good home. Steve

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Electrostatic Flocking

Hi Guys;
Back in 1971 I was in charge of a three dimensional electrostatic flocking operation done on a German machine,our's being the only one in the US. Before the purchase of the machine the product we were producing was done in what bwas called a flocking booth,made of plexiglass and a hand held device that gave a positive charge to the fibers.
The machine was set up with a conveyor belt and was flocking an average of 600 pieces per hour. Before I was involved the machine was only doing 250 per hour,and by my adding more heating lights in the drying oven,which dried the adhesive,we were able to produce an average of 600 per hour.
Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to the machine after I letf the company. I have made contact with a flocking company who is going to flock the glove box on the 2000CS I recently gave to my son.
As soon as I get it done I will post the results with pictures. Hope it will a resource for others needing flocking of parts.
Thanks for your time.
Koopman

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did this ever get done and what were the results? Interested in color chosen to match OEM.

Harry, were they local, should I just use the guys you used?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, I refloked both glove boxes and the kick panel. First make sure the surfaces are clean. Then tape off the are you don't want to flock. Get a clean box or bin, large enough to fit the project. Then spray the glue liberally on to the project. Place the project in to the bin and dump the flocking on to the project. Tip the project from side to side, use your hand to toss the flocking material if necessary. Once all the areas are covered dump the remnant flocking but don't touch the finished surface. Allow any extra to stay on the surface. Wait overnight then use compressed air to remove the rest of the flocking. Watch your face and eyes as this stuff will get everywhere. You can spot touch with glue and a little loose flocking.

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you Google, flock-it.com, they supply the flocking materials, colors to choose from and instructions on use. I used black flock for both compartments. As mentioned, the flocking application is easy, getting all the old flock and adhesive off takes some effort.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do furniture restoration as well and I am going to try Bix Stripper. Let you all know how it goes.

Flocking has gray and silver gray so wanted to know which is closer to OEM. I'll buy both.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can use a 3m disc to remove tough spots and scuff the surfaces.

This is where to purchase the flocking material and glue.
http://www.donjer.com/order.htm

I suggest buying an 8oz can of charcoal grey adhesive and at least a 3 oz bag of charcoal grey rayon flock. The charcoal flock is spot on to the original color.