Going to look at my first 73 Cs

Denniskennedy

Reaction score
I have never owned a e9 and I'm going to look at one for the first time Saturday. I know the obvious spots to look at from everyone's posts. But what should I really be looking for other then that.
This might sound naïve but I have never really done much restoration so this would be my first project.
Btw this is a great forum for information.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Peek in the glovebox w/a flashlight for rust. Ditto in the fuse box area where the hood release is.

Peek in the wheel fender well area where it meets the rocker.

A-pillars, rust around the window, and of course, front and rear strut/shock towers.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you give us any background on the car? Do you know if its been sitting or driven, how old the paint is, etc? Price range would help us set expectations a bit...

rwolak

Reaction score
If you've done limited restorations before, the e9 could be a 'bear' especially if a lot of rust work is required.

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
See if you are OK with the interior condition and outside chrome. These parts can be hard and very expensive to get.
The same goes for rubber sealing (door, hood etc.).

Good luck!

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first thing to check is to take a look at your wallet and see if you can see the bottom of it. If you can then you need to find one that appears bottomless. All kidding aside, stay close to the forum here and you'll save a lot of money. Good luck, and be patient.....

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first thing to check is to take a look at your wallet and see if you can see the bottom of it. If you can then you need to find one that appears bottomless. All kidding aside, stay close to the forum here and you'll save a lot of money. Good luck, and be patient.....
Dennis, you are in luck. There are at least seven coupe owners in the Phila. area, all more than will to do an inspection with you. Actually looking forward to it. Some of us, not me, have a cold eye when it comes to evaluating coupes. Contact me at: [email protected] Steve ONeill Bucks County

Denniskennedy

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I will let you know what I find out. Unfortunately I won't be seeing the car today d/t weather. I will either be seeing it this week or next Saturday. I will post pictures as well.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I will let you know what I find out. Unfortunately I won't be seeing the car today d/t weather. I will either be seeing it this week or next Saturday. I will post pictures as well.
Dennis, if you go solo don't do anything rash. We look forward to what you find and some photos. Undercarriage, towers, closeups, the usual suspects. Teahead has given you a good start. Steve

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score

Back when I was driving cars made by another German maker, the one with three-pointed stars on them, I got a book that talked about the specific series I owned, the W126 body style. The author opined that while they were superbly designed and built, they were not for the impecunious enthusiast. After I looked that one up, I had to agree. And the E9 coupe, especially one in need, is in the same category. A fair amount of DIY can trim the bill, but little about these cars is common, or cheap.

impecunious |ˌimpəˈkyo͞onēəs| adjective
having little or no money

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Worth every penny! But do not keep count. I have no idea how many thousands have gone into my coupe. But I never thought of it as an investment or an appreciating asset. It will go to my daughter when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

And speaking of coils. After I had spent about $2,000. trying to get the bucking, missing, hesitating fixed, on a whim I bought a coil from a guy on this board.
Now I can touch 7,000 rpm without a hiccup. So what if I have all new fuel lines, a tii filter and a driveshaft that visited CA. All the way from Bucks County, PA.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I may be reading too much between the lines on your posts, but it appears that you have identified and want to acquire a particular car already. When I was teaching my son how to buy a used car, I told him first inspect the vehicle, then fall in love. Heartache is far more likely if you do these things in the wrong order.

I spent three years looking for my car, and the market has become more difficult in the three years I have owned her.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I may be reading too much between the lines on your posts, but it appears that you have identified and want to acquire a particular car already. When I was teaching my son how to buy a used car, I told him first inspect the vehicle, then fall in love. Heartache is far more likely if you do these things in the wrong order.

I spent three years looking for my car, and the market has become more difficult in the three years I have owned her.
Right! If you want to end up with a car you can love through all the tears and laughter be prepared to walk away. A buddy and I helped another buddy find the tii of his dreams. Perfect, all original, Golf Yellow that the PO had put $12k into. But before said buddy found this great 2002tii we had to drag him away from a half dozen others. He was also considering big-bumpered 02s. We disabused him of that notion quickly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just know what type of car i want. I don't know which car it will be yet.

I believe that there are a few factors to consider. You mention restoration, so I assume you are looking for a car that needs to be restored. Do you want a car that needs metal work and rust remediation (aka every car under $30K)? If so, do you plan on paying to have the metal work done or do you have the skill or tenacity to take it on yourself? Have you calculated an overall budget?

I really like projects from the Island of Misfit Toys but it takes someone very knowledgeable, optimistic, or naive to buy those cars.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Huh, I never called Maui the Island of Misfit Toys, but it kind of fits since my car will need some careful mending before it's ready for paint and it was a great deal even though it wasn't running at the time. And I'm certainly optimistic, becoming knowledgeable with the help of the site and well, I've often been naive when it comes to estimating the time it takes to finish projects, yet I persist.

Ian