Gp 2 replica

sprintevo

Reaction score
Just thought you might want to see some pictures of my Group 2 CSL replica. Based on the more afford able 3.0 csi but with the right bits to make it light and competitive

Got the shell back from the media blasters yesterday and am very happy with the result the RH side floor is not too good but I will be raising this anyway to enable a side exit exhaust with silencers. roof skin is coming off and I have a replacement ready to go back on bar bracket removal and cutting back the metal wings to allow larger tyres there is not much welding required, bar fitting the roll cage and seam welding in the right areas.

I will have set of good steel wheel arches after the dreaded cutting as all the wings were replaced a couple of years ago. I also have a spare CSL roof and A and B pillars

the pictures show the shell with the 1973 factory style bodykit on for some trial fitting. The body was stripped back to the bare metal then primed with a zink etch in white. Next job is to remove all the excess media and grit and finish the conversion to LH drive, just missing the LHD manual steering box - if anyone has one out there, or if anyone knows which LHD rack was used in the later conversion for the racers, or more about this modification I will be very interested.

As things progress I plan to post more pictures, plus the usual wants etc..

To help fund this project I am breaking a beyond salvage 72 3.0 csi with a good interior and also have spare engines, transmission, including a Getrag 265 and standard rear diffs

http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt313/sprintevo/bmw csl/

gazzol

Reaction score
This is going to be a very interesting project to follow, please keep us posted with updates.
Will this be a road car (I hope so) or just for the track?

shanon

Reaction score
Neat! Ok tell us the skinny:

So where ya gonna run this? Figured out a paint scheme? What's the motor plan, period or modern?

If your out here near California, bring it out next season: VARA & HSR-West
We'll save you a parking space at the Essex Bros. Flying Circus.

There seems to be an E9 squadron amassing out here...come join the 'Dark Side'.

-shanon

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sprint,

Looks great! I see you're in the UK. Are the body parts from Zaprace, and if so, which exact style?

sprintevo

Reaction score
Spec

Bodykit from chris at Zaprace, nice and light style is the 1973 Motor-sports factory kit as seen on the Hans Stuck flying batmobile.

More on the spec - engine is 3.5 big six balanced and lightened crank, and on the lookout for some stronger rods, head is 12 valve ported and still looking at the choice of cam, something I am researching. Exhaust headers are modified E46 M3 and the intike aside of things will be E46 M3 with an adapter plate - these are the most efficient and lightest items out there. engine will be run by a modern programmable ecu. I will retain the period distributer and oil filter housing
considering a dry sump system or perhaps using an accusump a la the 1970s racers

Gearbox is the ever faithful dog leg with a M535i LSD at the rear

Body is a CSI with CSL doors and a lightweight roof section and as much of the unecessary metal cut away from the body, ie brackets and seat mounts etc..., conversion to RH drive is underway so I can fit better brake booster system that the complex double servo. I am building up my own suspension using a standard hubs with a coil over strut conversion and adjustable camber plate top mounts - What i am in need of are the strut dimension from the race cars out there and damper lengths - inserts will be Billies, as they are universal, but I am again investigating the option of adjustability. at the rear I will be running with a coil over kit which is easy to buy off the shelf

Roll cage is Custom Cages, FIA approved weld in affair which is substantial - If I can get 5 orders together I can organise a discount on the cost for myself and the 4 others. Glass is Makrolon lightweight pollycarbonate made in the UK, again a source I have can make up kits for rear and side windows for a lot less than the current suppliers.

First job at present is to lose the RH floor section to make space for the required silencers for the side exit exhaust. this is the worst part of the shel so wont be a problem for me to lose the LH side is ok bar the rear drain hole section for which I have a repair section, I am waiting to see if I can borrow a plasma cutter as it will make the whole job much easier and neater.

More pictures to follow soon

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
www.zaprace.com

I've been speaking with Chris about a bodykit, he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He's also willing to help me out with a custom setup, which could be fantastic.

Srpintevo, what are you doing for wheels? Chris said the toughest part of a widebody is finding wheels that fit and don't cost a mint....

sprintevo

Reaction score
gp2

Wheels,

there are a set on ebay in germany - BBS 3 piece split rims, but he want over 4000 Euros for them - Compomotive also do a BBS style centre and it is possible to get rims anywhere. I would like to get hold of some Alpina Centres so long as they are not old Magnesium, buying old wheels for a race car is dangerous, especially if they are super light mag or composite alloys.

I am waiting to get my body kit done and the brakes set up correctly so I can work out the correct offset. too deep inside the wheel arches and they may foul the suspension arm

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
sprint:

the flying bat was 1974 Gp4

shanon

Reaction score
Cool.

My brother just got his 'bubble' kit from Zaprace recently and his fab guy was very impressed with it. My brother also said working with Zaprace was excellent.

Ya'll just have to wait for the 'reveal' later this winter...;-)

Invitation still stands, if ya gotta Coupe that can track, come join our 'circus' this spring sometime in CA.

-shanon

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Hugh! (phonetic greetings?) How's life on the roof?

:mrgreen:

Ran say's he's likley about to committ to a 73CS roller needing interior and CSi engine and various bits. Perhaps if so we can work something out although the shipping is going to be pricey?

It might have sliped your attention but I sent 'Hugh' a PM yesterday regarding the ally roof idea for the second project car. As I recall you were fabricating same last month...hence the availablity of Dan's sunroof parts...fortunately you already have a roof available! anyway I will know more by next friday regarding the rolling chassis and if your CSi might be a viable option ok?

Ta for update, looks fantastic!

Cheers!

Ran

Last edited: