Grill Badge - E9Coupe.com

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I've located an artisan who can make custom grill badges: http://www.arniebrown.com/ . I think it would be great to have one done up for this group (E9Coupe.com).

In order to pull this off we would need:
1. A design (4 colors, possibly based on the c-pillar roundel or the useless spacer thingies - my personal favorite :p )
2. A $100 setup fee (I'm willing to front)
3. A minimum order of 40 badges (best case would be about $30 each with setup and shipping) - total commitment is about $1100.

I'm willing to coordinate and financially back (pre-pay) such a venture if enough of us sign up and I get help with a design. If you are interested please respond or send a PM. Assuming we come up a nice/acceptable design it would be helpful to know the following:

1. Would you pay $30 for a badge?
2. Would you pay $50 (assuming we have only 25-30 takers)?
3. How many would you want?
4. Can you help with a design?

Once we have cleared a profit I would propose using the proceeds to help offset the cost of the website or to keep a larger supply of badges for newcomers.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
I think the design would sell the badge; most people would be willing to fork out $30.00 for a cool badge but nobody would buy an ugly one... Maybe something based on this froum? Sounds like a design contest!

What ever happened to the e9 tee shirts?

Scott

piezopaul

Reaction score
I'm in, but have no artisic abilities to offer. The design should be classy, high end appearing and should reflect who we are. (No, not a bunch of slobering idiots!!) :wink: - Paul

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've added a category to the Photo Gallery for design ideas. Post anything and everything there, even if its just a rough sketch for an idea. Its meant to be for brainstorming and not final artwork.

Or, you can post ideas in this thread. Either way gets your idea out there..

Dan

iconoclast6

Reaction score
As many may know, a smiliar badge effort is underway at the CS Registry site. They are trying to ressurrect or modify their original badges.

I have yet to see their old or new design...and have no reference. If someone can scan a badge and submit the image here, I'll try my hand at submitting a design. Should our badge focus on the car, or our membership in the e9coupe.com board?

If we can can get some feedback for: 1) copyright issues for the roundel and colors, 2) whether we'd want an image of the coupe, 3) use the e9 model designation or mention e9coupe.com would be a start for the design process.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The folks at AnnieBrown also claim they will produce a design at no charge with a bit of input. I agree on having a "classy" badge. I recommend that those interested read the materials on the link I provided. They nice examples and good advice.
-- Not too many colors
-- No to much color, plenty of expose metal

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that we should let their designer take a stab at a badge design. I think we can use what we get here and send it to them to "clean" up for a badge. I've done some product and artwork design in the past and know that a good concept doesn't always translate into a good looking final product when dealing with different materials. Since they design for badges all the time they should know what would look best.

Personally, I'm not convinced that we need to include e9coupe.com on the badge. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but a badge should be simple and classy. E9coupe.com might be better on a small sticker for a side window.

Dan

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Something like:
8c4efd4e32e8dc91f875f36748fd3d5a.gif

with less Bavarian flag clutter?

Attachments

• e9badge2.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 97
  • e9badge2.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 96
  • e9badge2.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 102

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
very nice first pass. You've got the kidney grill concept in background and the circle evoking the "C" pillar emblem...
Why not change the checkered flag to a plain blue and white like our roundel emblem? That might make the E9 in the center show up more.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Grill Badges

I have actually worked with Arnie Brown and his badges (produced in India) are good quality and he is very responsive - he actually is nearby in Frederick, Maryland although I have never met him.

I suggested and arranged for the 30th anniversary Sharkfest logo for the e24 celebration of the Southeast Sharkfest in May 2006 to be made into a badge. Greg Aplin did the artwork (would he help us here?) gratis, but he had cups and tees, etc. that he made money on (he owns a 5 series). I actually think the badges turned out very nice, but a very few of the OCD concours folks were a bit picky about some of the cloissonne.

I am out of town and the jpeg file of the badge is on my other computer. If someone has a way to post, I will email it to them.

Think of a way to at least break even. I ordered 130, a number I thought would sell out and priced them at cost - but ended up with about 30 left and lost money - some day on ebay I suppose I will recoup my losses.

I could send a sample to whomever is coordinating this - heck I can sell some to anyone who wants one!

I think it is a great idea and that ~$30 is fine. I should also mention that with the anchor bolts, one can have it stand at an angle and it makes a great desk ornament - I have one at work. Of course, I am always thinking of ways to use the remaining badges.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like Scott concept but watch out!

The BMW legal beagles have taken issue with those who use the roundel - like my independent mechanic. They might be more accomodating to the e9 club, but who knows? The legal mind is a funny thing.

I like the badge although the e9 portion may be a tad stylized.

Greg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Intetesting concept! We might be able to have a badge made to be an exact fit into the C-pillar badge slot! This would be a lot cheaper than the rare $250+ NOS badges and it would be kind of fun. Of course the originals should be put away for safe keeping.

Similarly, we could have a badge made as a 2-piece system to match the C-Pillar or be mounted on the grill or both. It would probably be a bit more expensive but possible. I'll contact the people soon and asked about precision fitting and a possible two-piece design.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
JJ;

I ripped off your graphic of the E9 Coupe and dates since my drawing program doesn't seem to be able to attach text to a path.

Would you mind working some of these suggestions into my take on your initial design?

1) Make the dates right side up (I actually like it the way you did it, but someone wanted to see how this would look).
2) Change E9 Coupe to BMW Coupe (also not sure I like that idea, since this IS the E9 board...

Not sure what to do about the roundel issue. We might try asking for permission, but that would probably only sensitize the BMW logo narcs...We could also simply do it, and, since nobody is making any money off it, plead ignorance after the fact if anyone takes issue with it.

We could also argue that since it doesn't say BMW, and since the blue and white areas are not actually in the shape of a roundel (I meand look, they are all chopped up by the E9 logo!), that this is not a roundel. (I feel a little like Vanilla Ice and the David Bowie lawsuit.."see theirs goes 'dun du du du, du du dun du', and mine goes 'dun du du du, du du dun du du', so it's different!")

Another idea is to do the center as a blue and white Yin Yang that form the E9..that way the homage to the roundel and the E9 are unified, and it is then definitely not a roundel.

Thoughts??

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Excellent idea! The Mini guys have tons of these.
I like the idea of a 2 part system, one for the C pillar and another for the front grille area.

I would like it if the front one had a bat on it, though, since that is the car most people who know what it is identify the bodystyle with.

steve in reno

Reaction score
This is a what if question:
What if the new e9grp cloissione used a small bmw roundel that was made by a licensed manuf. and installed with in our own design? Perhaps the size of the one used on gear shift knobs. The original manuf/bmw has the rights to roundel but not how it is used!
I personally have 70MM roundel used on wheels for cap, and it works/looks great
I would say that most people don't have a clue what an E9 is. But most people would easily recognize the bmw logo.

Just a thought!!!