Hardy and Beck 16x8 Wheels for sale

MrRaceInc

Reaction score
SOLD!! Thank you for everyone's interest! First off let me say I am new here and I know it isn't ideal to have my first post be a for sale post. Being completely honest I have only been around E21s and E30s. I have a used parts business and stumbled across this set of wheels while looking for other items. I have plenty of references and have been selling on Ebay and other sites for over 10 years. I am posting these here first in hopes of avoiding the ridiculous fees. Please lets keep this post positive. If I am handling any of this wrong please send me a private message and don't clutter up the post. The same goes if I am out of line on the price. Just send me a PM. These parts aren't my specialty and I have done my best to price these according to the few sets I have seen come up for sale. Now for the important part.
This is a complete set of ORIGINAL 16x8 Hardy and Beck 3 piece wheels. They are in ROUGH shape. The centers have been repainted at one point but are in really good shape with what appears to be the original hardware. The lips themselves are rough with curb rash, and bends. I have been told the BBS 3 piece lips are the same. I want $1200 for the set NOT including shipping. I am willing to ship overseas but it will be expensive due to the size and weight of these. I can take more pictures. It has been raining so the weather hasn't been ideal
IMG_2845_zps5d1c1801.jpg

IMG_2844_zpsf9a5aeac.jpg

Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Location?

Please add location to your profile. May be worth it if you don't have to pay extra shipping costs.

tmason

Reaction score
The description as rough is a fair (curb rash and flat spots).You can have a new set of CoupeKings for the same price and they look better on our cars in my eyes.

floridabmx

Reaction score
The description as rough is a fair (curb rash and flat spots).You can have a new set of CoupeKings for the same price and they look better on our cars in my eyes.

Theres a very very fine line between chinese reproductions and real vintage three piece wheels. Some sandpaper, buffing wheel, compound, silicone, elbow grease and a powdercoater will be about as close to the real three piece alpina you can get. That price is extremely reasonable. Id rather spend a couple bills on these then buy some cast wheels any day of the week. After refinishing these the price will be the same anyway! GLWS!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
cost to redo is probably more like $100/each or more.

These are desirable wheels, but given the damage and cosmetic condition, they do need a full restore. I looked at the time involved and had a pro disassemble and redo for $130 each.
A really nice set of BBS RS modulars go for $1500-1600 and they are better wheels. Subtract $500 for the redo (assume the bent lip is fixable). I'd say$900- $1000 is a fair price.

Yes you can spend the time and labor to do the restore yourself (other than final coating), but time is money unless you're unemployed or single.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Theres a very very fine line between chinese reproductions and real vintage three piece wheels. Some sandpaper, buffing wheel, compound, silicone, elbow grease and a powdercoater will be about as close to the real three piece alpina you can get. That price is extremely reasonable. Id rather spend a couple bills on these then buy some cast wheels any day of the week. After refinishing these the price will be the same anyway! GLWS!

Are CoupeKing's wheels made in China?

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Location please

I don't want to sound like I am beating a dead horse but.....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know Coupeking tests all of his wheels at a tire shop to make sure they spin true. Several of my coupe friends here have had them for several years and are very satisfied.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have a set of coupeking's on my car - they are perfect. i will have to take a look on the backside of them to see if there is a mark. i also have the boxes, but i don't know if it says anything about country of origin.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have a set of coupeking's on my car - they are perfect. i will have to take a look on the backside of them to see if there is a mark. i also have the boxes, but i don't know if it says anything about country of origin.

That would be great.

MrRaceInc

Reaction score
I understand that these need work. These are not modern CoupeKings or a BBS RS wheel. They are a relatively rare and hard to come by wheel. Some people actually want vintage wheels. I am one of those people. I feel look a likes are just that look a likes. A modern reproduction piece is never going to have the same value as a hard to find original piece. Not to say they that the newer wheels don't look good. They just aren't originals. I have dealt with a lot of vintage aftermarket wheels over the years and there were a lot of copies of the more popular wheels. Even back in the 80s. They weren't the same as the originals or worth as much. I prefer to preserve items when at all possible. Everyone does things differently.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I understand that these need work. These are not modern CoupeKings or a BBS RS wheel. They are a relatively rare and hard to come by wheel. Some people actually want vintage wheels. I am one of those people. I feel look a likes are just that look a likes. A modern reproduction piece is never going to have the same value as a hard to find original piece. Not to say they that the newer wheels don't look good. They just aren't originals. I have dealt with a lot of vintage aftermarket wheels over the years and there were a lot of copies of the more popular wheels. Even back in the 80s. They weren't the same as the originals or worth as much. I prefer to preserve items when at all possible. Everyone does things differently.

A lot of us feel the same way and would prefer original parts over reproductions.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Point of diminishing returns

Guys,
Just like with that CL coupe that just sold here in New England, I'm sorry but I think we get too nit picky sometimes in this forum.

These are a set of rare, close-to-period-correct wheels for the E9 (I think HB introduced them when the new 5 series and 6 series cars came out). The are a very high quality wheel with great style and I'd have a hard time picking between these and a set of BBS-RS wheels. I'd worry a bit about the 8" width on the front, as authentic BBS RS parts are not as common as they use to be.

I personally don't think the OP needs our advice on whether or not they're mis-priced relative to other E9 compatible wheels. The market will speak when these are sold.

Nuff said.

John

MrRaceInc

Reaction score
Guys,
Just like with that CL coupe that just sold here in New England, I'm sorry but I think we get too nit picky sometimes in this forum.

These are a set of rare, close-to-period-correct wheels for the E9 (I think HB introduced them when the new 5 series and 6 series cars came out). The are a very high quality wheel with great style and I'd have a hard time picking between these and a set of BBS-RS wheels. I'd worry a bit about the 8" width on the front, as authentic BBS RS parts are not as common as they use to be.

I personally don't think the OP needs our advice on whether or not they're mis-priced relative to other E9 compatible wheels. The market will speak when these are sold.

Nuff said.

John

John,
Thanks for being cool. It is hard being the new guy that hasn't established relationships on a forum. I actually sell used parts for a living. There are plenty of people that are happy with new shiny reproductions. They are generally cheaper in price but a lot of times the quality isn't as good as the originals. I understand the need for reproduction parts especially on soft goods(interior, weather stripping etc) but those are the only non original parts I will use on anything I build. If I can't find NOS items I prefer to restore an original piece. Not everyone's style but that is just how I do things.

MrRaceInc

Reaction score
To everyone that has contacted me on these via PM please let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I am not receiving notifications that there is a response to this post or notifications that I have a PM for some reason. Thanks for everyone's interest maybe these will sell!