Has anyone ever..

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Used pressurized pistons to keep the hood open on their e9?

I know the proper way is to use the torsion bar set-up, but it's so clumsy and since I have already deleted the battery tray among other non-purist modifications I figured I'd like to try to clean up that part of the hood area. Please post any pictures and/or information if it's available.

Thanks!

tmason

Reaction score
I made a clip that goes around the hinge and bracket so when placed it won't let the hood slam shut in the wind or just sitting there.
PM me your phone number and I can text a picture how it works.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen several that use a hood prop and the shock mount in the photo below but it seems like you could use a couple short shorts mounted closely to the front or even down the headlight opening to keep it clean. Since the hood goes so straight up it wouldn't take much to hold it open.

1973 bmw 3.0 cs m6 hotrod engine bay.jpg

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Indeed, those long shocks seem a bit in the way, I'd love to see some shorter ones- preferably using the existing mounting pieces??

Thanks!

Rek

Reaction score
Yup - but it does put some pressure on the hinges.

I used adjustable pistons which you fit, then reduce the pressure from the max which there come with by use of a bleed screw. I have them on my boot/trunk too.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yup - but it does put some pressure on the hinges.

I used adjustable pistons which you fit, then reduce the pressure from the max which there come with by use of a bleed screw. I have them on my boot/trunk too.
Could you post some pics of that setup? Thank you.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You will have after lifting that bonnet a few times, unless you have the existing torsion bar system still installed. :)

Go hit them gym. The steel hood weighs 47lbs and you are only lifting a portion of that weight. :D When I didn’t completely remove the hood on my parts car, I used a cardboard tube to hold it up.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys, Although I'm more powerful than a locomotive, can run faster than a speeding bullet, and bend steel with my bare hands, I still need an alternative to the archaic torsion system... REK, please post a picture :)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Peter, I'm planning on doing the same just haven't red neck engineered it yet so I'm watching with pop corn in hand. I thought there was a thread on this but I can't ever find stuff on here anyway.

Rek

Reaction score
Here are some pictures - the product is good and from the following suppliers.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/stainless/adjustable/8mm-rod

My only issue is that the dampers themselves are well built out of quality metal, but the posts for fixing are soft metal which bends easily and not the quality of the main product. So - on my list (which seems to get longer not shorter) is for good quality hard 8mm ball posts - 4 in total.

IMG_4810.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg
IMG_4812.jpg

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
REK, this is awesome!! I am not sure if I can accomplish this but after examining your pictures and reading your note I contacted a company in the states to see if they could help me put together a system that uses struts and the existing attaching points which would allow anyone, including our purist members, to make this modification and return the torsion bar when they go to Pebble Beach, all while preventing their hood from falling on their heads! I hope these folks will work with me!