Hazard light in 3.0CSA

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Creative Workshop in Dania,FL is sorting my car,which started out as a 1973 USA automatic. The hazard light comes on with the dash lights and dims with them also. The wiring harness is original and and one of the blades on the hazard is a 58d terminal which works with the dash switch rheostat. My only other experience with this type hazard light is in my '72 2002,and that only lights up when pushed on for the 4 way blinker. Is this normal for automatic cars? What hazard switch can I get that will only light up when pushed on? No fun seeing a bright red light when driving.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yours is original, it has the resistor on the back, your 72 may not and they are not interchangeable. I have have never found the need to dim my dash lights!

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris--I knew you would reply to this! I don't dim the dash lights either,but the bright red light in that hazard switch is distracting. You're correct about it being original and has the resistor on the back,but is there any other switch that will work and not be lit up when the dash lights are on without altering the factory wiring? Or perhaps one of the harness wires can be disconnected that powers the constant red light. Thanks for the reply.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the resistor is there to control the intensity while it is not depressed, then you can remove the resistor (or increase the resistance value) to solve the issue.
The diagrams do not show the role of the resistor.