Hazard Switch

BorgBmw

Reaction score
My hazard switch won’t turn off (stays in out position). Currently, have fuse removed to stop flashing. Need to investigate if fixable, but presume need to replace. Do other models fit/work? Thanks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The year of your car is important, there are two versions. The second version has a small resistor on the back, they are not interchangeable, they are stamped 1969 and 1972 I think. Remove it and gently pry open the case using small screwdrivers. You need to bend the arm that travels in a track so that it catches when pushed in, this is a very common failure. Or just stick a matchstick next to the button.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Thanks! - I’ll give it a try. My car is a 72, but will see how it’s stamped.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Yes, indeed. It’s a 72 and has the resistor. Got it out, and lots of old Bakelite insulation came off with the wires. Getting it open proving difficult. Any tricks?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use a common plastic pushpin
Push the button in
Push the pin in

jmackro

Reaction score
You need to bend the arm that travels in a track so that it catches when pushed in, this is a very common failure. Or just stick a matchstick next to the button.

Chris is right: you can disassemble these switches and repair them. However, don't expect the fix to last for very long. Now that you have it apart, installing a new switch is a better long term repair. The problem is that when you flasher switch fails in the "ON" position, it will drain the battery if the problem is undetected.

New switches are available on ebay. They are sort of expensive for what you get / how long they last.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Fixed it, but agree, it may not last. When I was in there I got rid of some useless fader knob and wiring that had been added. Also found the item below-any ideas?
AA177559-C591-4817-9054-D9990B4C8F52.jpeg

BorgBmw

Reaction score
shoot - should have, but closed everything back up this morning. Everything works. I think it might be the hook-up for rear window defroster, as switch for that now controls fog lights that P.O. installed. Didn’t think if that when I post d