Header tank bracket

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to let me have the dimensions for the bracket on the underside of the radiator header tank. I've acquired one, but the bracket is missing, and i would like to replicate

Attachments

• tank bracket.jpg
    tank bracket.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 118

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to let me have the dimensions for the bracket on the underside of the radiator header tank. I've acquired one, but the bracket is missing, and i would like to replicate

I've made a template before but shipped it off with a tank like yours. I will take some measurements tonight and post an update.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is at the very bottom of a large bin. It may be a day or two. Thanks!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is at the very bottom of a large bin. It may be a day or two. Thanks!

The bottom of a large bin with a set of rear seats on top of it actually. Sorry it took so long to capture the measurements. Please excuse my bar napkin dimensional drawing. I may tinker with 3D parts but I'm just the idea man and quality control. :D

The first thing to note is that the bracket is made from steel. I didn't think to measure the thickness but it is around 16ga. The bracket is pretty rigid, by no means easy to flex. It is fastened to a brass tank so it must be brazed on with silver solder. This is something that you can do yourself if you have a torch and the correct solder. Spend some time on youtube if you have never done this before. You could make life easy and just use JB weld also. Not even a Concours judge will be taking a mirror to the underside of your brass coolant tank.

If you do want to make the part out of steel but don't have a metal brake or a vise, you can use 2" x 1" or 3" x 1" rectangular steel tubing. Since you only need a few inches of the stuff, you can pick it up from the scrap section of your metal supply store for a few bucks. You just need to use an angle grinder to cut the piece to size.

About the dimensions, pay attention to the width and the height but don't worry about the distance of the angle. Just draw your box then connect the dots with the angle. If you actually calculate the distance of the angle portion in my drawing using the Pythagorean Theorem you will get around 57.6mm. I attribute that to a margin of error around the bent section. Speaking of which, I would give yourself about 2-3mm of material where the dotted line is to account for the bend. The 7mm step near the dotted line does not include any padding for the bend. After the bend (dotted line) completes there is 7mm of material before the angle starts. As you can see, the actual mounting hole is a 20mm slot, so you don't need to strive for precision.

216CCA3C-3B5F-48B1-B894-ADA4DD4A5E3A.jpeg

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos - do you have the measurement of the mounting hole from the right hand side of your diagram ?