Headlight bucket springs?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have a good substitute for the little springs that hold the headlight buckets?

I overstretched a couple

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
I contacted a spring manufacturing company who made up a set for me from one I sent them along with £20 for the mans time.
Wasn't until later, when I went to put them all back together, I realised on the original the outside lamp has a slightly longer spring to bring it out to the same level!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Simufly
I have bought quite a few things from the UK for my bikes and shipping doesn't seem too bad for 'small packet'
Do you have the long and short ones?

stphers

Reaction score
Why not try Ace hardware? They have a few different springs or try a parts autohouse that will probably have a selection of headlight springs. There isn't really anything special about them, a lot of other models use them E21, E30, E24

Thanks, Rick

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I will continue looking at hardware stores, I have tried a few so far, nothing yet of the right length and stiffness, I have not tried Ace yet

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
on making, thanks I might try, but one thing about these is that they are very stiff

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i measured one of my springs
the overall length is 32mm (1.25"), the width of the spring is 9mm (.35") and the width of the wire is 2mm (.078"). it is a simple spring with standard hook ends. i looked on mcmaster-carr's website and they don't have anything listed at that short length. i did find one that is 1.25" inside the hooks but the wire is much thinner .055".

they do offer made to order springs. so, my recommendation is for anybody who needs these springs to group together and get some made. if you go down this road, i would verify my dimensions ... they were a quick look
https://www.mcmaster.com/#extension-springs/=19k1g82

Last edited: