Headliner texture types?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if the headliner in my car is original or not

And therefore an original texture type

I have a several sets of sun-visors, including the ones from the car, and the sun-visor panel and they all have the same texture (and photos I have found online seem to have this texture)

You are probably familiar with this:

There are small perforations, almost pinpoints, with a very small ‘tuck’ into the perforation

The perforations are spaced about 3/8 inches transversely and about 1/2 inches longitudinally

There is a background of semi random raised lines

They are on a grid, but some are raised in areas and not in other areas

The gird is about 28 lines per inch and the lines run transversely and longitudinally

Here is the question; the headliner in my car does not have exactly that texture

It has a similar perforation pattern, but does not have the grid of lines

Instead it has a light leather texture

Does any have a texture like that (perforations with a background of ‘leather’) that they know is original?

Thanks for the info, Mark

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I NAVE THE OEM DOTS TYPE AND THE EXACT MATCH FOR THE LINEAR TYPE REDONE BY SMS FABRICS IN OREGON SEND ADDRESS ILL SEND SAMPLES
ALL OEM HAVE LINES RANDOM

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Alan
I have a sample from SMS, the texture looks like the sun-visors, looks good, but
I am having a hard time getting them to send me one in the right color

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
and, I sort of feel my main headliner might be original, but not sure of course, and it has the 'leather' texture I mention above
It is not usable now though, some knucklehead painted it black

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
23EB2501-239E-4B4D-AC45-8C5F4969180F.jpeg
Here is the current incorrect style. I had an original piece that held the 73 shoulder belts to roof but I think I lent it to someone here and it hasn’t been returned. If anyone has it please drop me a note! I will shoot a pic of my headliner, it should have tiny dots and raised lines.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
3D29CCCB-90DD-49D1-8662-230F7EE29139.jpeg
40601CFB-2B1E-4A09-94B9-341CEBA342F7.jpeg
My headliner was from a euro CS which I bought from Belgium and it was resprayed when it was installed. Mark post a pic of the SMS sample please.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have received samples from several places, other than SMS they don't look right (not like your photos)
Your photos (other than the incorrect) are what I expect
I will get a photo of the SMS, it is very close to correct, but it is in black
It was made for someone here that has a CSL
The one minor thing not quite right is the spacing of the perforations, they look evenly spaced in x and y where y (transverse) should be a little further apart
I will post a photo if I can find the sample
They sent me the material for a 'white' headliner, but it is not close to the right tone or gloss level

What got me going on this new question, I just received a sample from Lakewell and interestingly it has a perforations plus background 'leather' very similar to what is in my car

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Diagonals, but not at 45 degrees not at 90 degrees to each other, at least not on the sun-visors
I have a couple sets of original sun-visors here
It is pretty subtle, but I measured them closely

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
right, not quite evenly spaced,

But my original question, has anyone seen original with 'leather like' texture rather than lines?
I suspect not, but just checking

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the lines are really not random
They all fall on the same grid, and I think there is a repeat to which ones are 'visible'
I think the line pattern repeats every few inches, I will need to look at it closer
pretty much anything that is printed or embossed has a repeat, it is made with a roller probably
Super minutia

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the left of the photo, headliner material I bought from a member here who said it is BMW original, which I believe
Looks like all the visors I have
On the right is the SMS material, the lines are not as 'crisp' and the color is off (I hope they are working on that now!)
But texture wise is the best match of a repo I have seen
They made this texture for a CSL member here
E9 headliner DSC_0632 crppd.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The SMS fabric has holes which are too pronounced and lines are too subtle, it is fairly close but not quite. The one on the left looks very close if not perfect. My visors and board under them appear softer in details than the headliner, I think they are original but I can’t guarantee that. Have you seen the same?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
true the SMS is not quite right, but I think the best repo (?)
I don't have original headliner other than that piece in the photo (which very sadly is too small for my sunroof car)
The visor panel material is a different material from the headliner, it seems to be thicker