Heater Blower Motor

E3_UK

Reaction score
What's involved in removing the blower to access the motor ?. Mine is working intermittently, I'm assuming the motor brushes and/or armature could be needing a clean up due to lack of use.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Open the hood.
Remove screws securing the panel covering the blower assembly that is located just below the windshield.
Remove 3 ten millimeter bolts securing the blower assembly.
Prise off the screen on the top of blower assembly.
Disconnect wiring.
Lift assembly out.
Believe that will do it.

E3_UK

Reaction score
Thanks, glad it can all be done externally, I was envisaging some dash surgery !.

E3_UK

Reaction score
I will bet that the issue is the rheostat attached to the fan speed lever.
Could possibly be. When working it runs on all three speeds so the rheostat isn't broken but could be dirty. It usually starts running with a good slam of the door. What's involved with getting to the rheostat ?.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s a real bear. The lever slides across the coils, you can only access it when you pull the whole assembly out. I have tried slipping sand paper between the coils and the lever but nothing much works it seems.

E3_UK

Reaction score
It’s a real bear. The lever slides across the coils, you can only access it when you pull the whole assembly out. I have tried slipping sand paper between the coils and the lever but nothing much works it seems.
So it's accessed from the engine side after removing the blower ?
I see the resistor is nla on real OEM, is there an aftermarket alternative ?.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, it is behind the heater/vent panel, the fan speed lever slides across the coils making it a rheostat of sorts. Once you see it you realize there is no other replacement.

E3_UK

Reaction score
No, it is behind the heater/vent panel, the fan speed lever slides across the coils making it a rheostat of sorts. Once you see it you realize there is no other replacement.
Ok thanks, I'll try squirting some electrical cleaner through the switch panel, might get into the resistor, worth a try.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an entire heater assembly I posted. Could possibly I suppose part it out. Be a shame tho.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
pop the heater knob panel open and get some CRC electronic cleaner, squirt it like youre using pb blaster on a rusted bolt. wipe up the mess and spray it again. should be clean after that :)

E3_UK

Reaction score
I managed to squirt electrical cleaner through the panel slot without removing it and it does seem to have worked. The blower works first time every time, for now anyway. Thanks for the advice guys, I wish all fixes were this easy!!.