Hello from Cambridgeshire guys

stefano csl

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Stefano from Huntingdon in the UK and have just joined and registered my CSL on the registry. I look forward to taking part and especially if I can be of any help to anyone in the UK, as this is my third E9 and I also run an E3 3.0si as a daily driver.
I drive to Borgotaro in Italy every Summer in the CSL. Does anyone feel like tagging along for a stretch? Its normally fun, especially over the Alpine passes like the St. Gotthard, but be warned, I don't hang about.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Hi Stefano,
Well your offer is great but a long way for me to go. I agree the drive would be fantastic; that pass and the drive prior and subsequent is a thrill in the coupe or a tii. It has been years since I bought my cars (I sold the '72 2002 and the '79 323 Hartge) and drove throughout the continent.

Enjoy the ride, and welcome aboard!
Jon

stefano csl

Reaction score
Cheers Jon,

I was sort of thinking of Euro based guys, but hey, if anyone fancies comming over the pond
just let me know as I am fairly open right now on timing, working on anytime in July/August.

stefano csl

Reaction score
Sure,
I posted some on the registry, but heres a few taken recently.

Attachments

• DSC00320.jpg
    DSC00320.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 581
  • DSC00321_edited.jpg
    DSC00321_edited.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 744
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 568
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 747

stefano csl

Reaction score
These photos are better, hope you approve.

Attachments

• DSC01684.JPG
    DSC01684.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC01688.JPG
    DSC01688.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC01701.JPG
    DSC01701.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 604
  • NBD 7M 012.jpg
    NBD 7M 012.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 240
  • NBD 7M 008.jpg
    NBD 7M 008.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 240

tochi

Reaction score
These photos are better, hope you approve.

Gorgeous with a capital G.

(Looks far too nice to be anywhere except under armed guard.)
(Mine did not look that good when it was in the showroom with zero miles. Must be the lens or the lighting or regular oil changes, expensive car polish? lol!)

MMercury

Reaction score
I drive to Borgotaro in Italy every Summer in the CSL. Does anyone feel like tagging along for a stretch? Its normally fun, especially over the Alpine passes like the St. Gotthard, but be warned, I don't hang about.

But can you really appreciate the scenery with a right hand drive?:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpq1_AphUSY&feature=related

Hanging about can be a bad idea anyway, if you are in an unbalanced bus full of bullion. :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2PEwL6N20

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi

Hi Stefano,

i have the classic car mag that done a article on your car afew years ago 2005/6?.

your car looks mint in the photos and i think its one of the best CSL's, out-there, condition wise.

henna/verona red is my favourite colour in a CSL.

i still haven't located a suitable car within my price range. i have viewed acouple of really nice CSL's,(not mint one's) the asking price does not reflect the condition of the cars

If you ever and i mean ever sell your CSL stefano, can you please let me know first and if its in my price range, i would happy to do a deal with you. and the CSL will go to a very, very good home/owner.

I have decided to increase my price range by afew thousand £'s and i will bide my time and when the right CSL comes up fro sale, i am going to buy it a-sap. hopefully the credit crunch continues until a located my next CSL LOL.

Regards
sandhu

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
...If you ever and i mean ever sell your CSL stefano, can you please let me know first and if its in my price range, i would happy to do a deal with you. and the CSL will go to a very, very good home/owner.
Here's a very nice RHD Verona CSL Sandhu with only 17,000 miles you can have for £59,995 (approx $98,500 US)
BMWCS-Red3.jpg

So no begging or whining please, just get out your wallet and ask if that price includes a full tank of petrol?

Verona Red with Black Scheel trim, Equipped with Scheel sport seats, City package (PAS, Anti-roll bars, Chrome front and rear bumpers, Heated rear window, Chassis undercoating, Interior bonnet release, Additional sound deadening, Retractable rear side windows, Tool kit, Boot lock, Velour carpeting), E/windows, 3 spoke leather steering wheel, CSL Alpina alloys, Original UK RHD example (1 of just 500 UK RHD CSL Lightweight BMWs manufactured to meet FIA Homologation regulations), Originally supplied by Robert Bowett Ltd of Ossett, Complete with original owners handbooks/manuals, Full BMW service history, A 1 owner example (retained in the private collection of the owners of a BMW main agent) which has covered just 17,000 miles from new.

For further details and photos please view www.nutleysports.co.uk

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/74730

Just remember that the problem with owning a nice CSL if that everyone including your Grandma will offer to buy it!
:mrgreen:

Last edited:

stefano csl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feed back guys, and if I ever decide to sell, I will let you all know. But it took me two other E9's and nearly 10 years to find this one, and whilst everything has a value, I really don't think I ever want to part with this car. My Mother likes it, my wife and daughters love it, and far too much personal blood, sweat, tears and cold hard cash. Its great to know that they are finally getting recognised in terms of value, but that just helps me "justify" the expenditure required. Its too easy to fall into the trap of not driving them because you've spent so much or not driving them hard because you're worried.
I avoid Winter and salt, and keep up maintenance, but in England you cannot worry about if its going to rain, else you'd never go out!!
I drive around five to six thousand miles a year in the CSL, including the two thousand plus mile round trip to Italy, and I love and savour every minute of it. The admiring glances, the 6,000 rpm change ups, catching the back end on a damp day, and especially thinking I'm in the original Italian Job as the CSL takes the place of a Muira winding through the Italian/ Swiss mountains with "On Days like These" blaring. Otherwise, what's the point of having the damn thing!!!!!! Polishing is no substitute for driving.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stefano - truly a lovely car. What number is she?

It would be great if you could lay out the route you take as some day I would love to do that journey.

It definitely looks like one of the best csls in the uk. Did you have to do much to it to get it to this condition?

Regards,

Rohan

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
....it took me two other E9's and nearly 10 years to find this one, and whilst everything has a value, I really don't think I ever want to part with this car.
My point above precisely...Thanks so much Stefano for the pictures as some of us truly know what it takes to acheive what you have thus far...as you so aptly say...

The admiring glances, the 6,000 rpm change ups, catching the back end on a damp day, and especially thinking I'm in the original Italian Job as the CSL takes the place of a Muira winding through the Italian/ Swiss mountains with "On Days like These" blaring. Otherwise, what's the point of having the damn thing!!!!!!

Cheers!

Ran

stefano csl

Reaction score
Really quite taken aback by the welcome you guys out there have given me. It's great to know that there's real love for these old girls out there and I'm not suffering from some sad and lonely disease. The chassis is 2285380 with matching engine, although the head is a later '84 and probably gives better cooling.
I bought the car in 1999 and it had a "full open cheque book restoration" in the mid 90's, but that's where it starts, not finishes. The previous owner had more cash than time; enthusiasm but no passion or attention to detail, so the reality is than I never really stop, and no matter how good it is, it could always be better, especially when you factor in wear and tear from useage. But thats all part of the fun!!!
Important mods for regular driving have included, uprated headlights to avoid "day only use", kenlowe electric fan for better cooling, 16" alloys for better tyre choice and grip, Walloth & Nesch strut brace for front end stiffness and better turn in, all stainless exhaust system including manifold for better breathing and because I like it, drilled discs (rotors) because they look good, braided brake hoses because they feel good, Becker radio/cd/ipod because period sound sucks, front air dam because its cool, and I finally got my 5 speed overdrive Getrag in because I'm sick of forgetting that it only had 4 gears, and even after all this time I would still declutch and try to engage a non existent gear. Oh, and Ray Ban Wayfarers, because deep down, and I know it's sad, I'm just an old tart and love to pose. At this point, I don't think I should mention the perforated leather driving gloves...DOH

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
...it had a "full open cheque book restoration" in the mid 90's, but that's where it starts, not finishes. The previous owner had more cash than time; enthusiasm but no passion or attention to detail, so the reality is than I never really stop, and no matter how good it is, it could always be better, especially when you factor in wear and tear from useage. But thats all part of the fun!!!

Is the process ever over... IMO of course not, as the process is the fun of it...
as you so aptly put it Stefano...?

Here's to Wayfarer's and the women that wish to wear yours!
Rebecca De Mornay, in her younger days in 'Risky Business'...
and below in her even earlier b&w High School yearbook picture...

Ray-Ban-Wayfarer-Tom-Cruise-big.jpg
Rebecca+De+Mornay+Tom+Cruise+Risky+Business.jpg

rebecca.jpg

Evidently those Austrian schools are something we should ask Orangener (in Vienna)
about as I can't quite seem to put my finger on it... but there's a bit of photographic
emphasis here, somewhere....not seen in our American High School yearbook photos?

:mrgreen:

Rebecca De Mornay was born in northern California, and was raised by her mother Julie and stepfather Richard De Mornay until his death when she was five years old. Rebecca's mother then moved her and her half-brother Peter to Europe, where she was raised primarily in England and Austria. Rebecca graduated "summa cum laude" from a German-speaking high school in the Austrian alps, and still speaks fluent German and French.

Off that infamous train ride (with Tom Cruise in 'Risky Business') and back to CSi reality....

Really quite taken aback by the welcome you guys out there have given me. It's great to know that there's real love for these old girls out there and I'm not suffering from some sad and lonely disease.

Sadly or otherwise Stefano, we're just another (irreverent?) group of your Country's often derided 'bloody Colonists'... Septics, as it were, not afraid to take the heat or on the other hand warmly welcome others over here to America and her ways... For the most part not even Her Majesty's misdemeanor prisoners... as (rightly or wrongly) the 'Empire' gave leave to those that had run afoul of the Crown many years ago, off to the wilds of Australia they went... or the 'Outback' or the errr ... 'out-there', so to speak?

lol!

Cheers and a hearty welcome, mate!

Last edited: