Hello from LA.

ECA90049

Reaction score
I have a 1971 E9 that I love to drive but it is temperamental. But when it runs I always get a lot of thumbs up or big smiles when my car is spotted. The latest quirk is when I turn off the headlights the running lights stay on. I think I need a new switch, will take it to my mechanic this next week to sort it out. Hope finding a new switch isn't a problem. It also leaks oil, but I say it's just marking its turf. Overall I love the car, its engine seems strong and I continue to repair and fix things as I go along. Windows are a challenge. Trying to keep it as stock as I can. Anyhow here's where I am at this point (photographs well but does need a paint job or touch up at least).

1971 BMWe9.jpeg

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice car. Is it a 2800 cs? Please give us some details/ specifics of your car. You will find the most helpful and welcoming group here. The collective knowledge is unsurpassed and always impressive. : )

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Tighten the round nut on the switch as tight as possible.
Exactly! On my car the chrome plastic bezel that also acts as a nut needed to be tightened a lot, it was acting like a shim, keeping the headlight switch from disengaging all the way. Once I tightened it down it worked like new.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Exactly! On my car the chrome plastic bezel that also acts as a nut needed to be tightened a lot, it was acting like a shim, keeping the headlight switch from disengaging all the way. Once I tightened it down it worked like new.
Agreed, after I put the dash back in redone by Just Dashes I had to really tighten the chrome bezel as the the switch would barely go past the park position.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve: This is a good one for DIY

ECA90049

Reaction score
My BMW is a 1971 2800 CS. So far it's pretty much all stock. The Interior was been redone before I bought it and looked good (but under closer inspection, it's just OK). The radio was replaced with something more current (I'm looking for something more retro). I have the original keys for doors and ignition (but right now the doors don't lock). The windows, when they work, are super slow going up and down (I heard e9 owners have window closing races). Overall the car looks and runs good (but I want to eliminate the small chips and dents in the body eventually). It runs strong, once it starts and gets lots of smiles as it rolls by other cars (oh yeah, and lots of thumbs up). My issues right now are 1. The running lights won't shut off, thinking I might need a new headlight switch (have to disconnect the battery). 2. Slight leak somewhere of brake fluid (have a guy who is going to fix this). 3 Missing bits and pieces of window trim (I'm looking) 4. WIndows sometimes work, sometimes (don't any tips?). Engine leaks oil onto the exhaust pipes (which burns off but is annoying when I startup). Any tips, words of inspiration, or advice on getting window trim or a new headlight switch would be great. In the meantime is you see a blue e9 cruising PCH it's probably me...