Hello from Melbourne

Morgan

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly thankyou all for the inspiration to finish my E9.

I have a CSL that has been in my family since the early 1980's. According to the BMW archives it was manufactured on September 29th, 1972 and delivered on October 11th, 1972 to the importer BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in London. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paint code 037. My Dad purchased the car in Australia in 1982 and use it for club race days. I was still in primary school back then but spent a lot of time with my dad at the race track with the CSL and his clubman that he also used to race.

The car had already been resprayed which is never a good look considering it was only 10 years old. I have attached a few photos of it back then in the burgundy colour.

A full ground up restoration was started in 1988 with the car being stripped down and dipped. My dad fortunately bought a lot of original body parts including A pillars, sills, guards, quarters, roof, inner guards, the list goes on... Then the recession hit and all of sudden the land of plenty was no longer and the body and all the parts were put into storage.
In 2009 I started the meticulous task of rebuilding the body. I covered a fair bit of ground for about a year then other things got in the way and the car went back into storage.

I'm now on a mission to get this car back on the road as its only done 13,712 miles and deserves a few more.
Just finishing off a few little things on the body then it will be off to be painted. The original engine has be rebuilt back to stock spec and soon I can focus on restoring all the other parts.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_134326.jpg
    IMG_20200808_134326.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 156
  • csl engine bay 2 lr.jpg
    csl engine bay 2 lr.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 168
  • csl rh side lr.jpg
    csl rh side lr.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 155
  • csl interior lr.jpg
    csl interior lr.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 184
  • csl front lr.jpg
    csl front lr.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 165

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Morgan.
I'm in Hobart and also have a 72 CSL and a 72 CS.
This site is a wealth of knowledge and helpful people.
If you ever need to pick my brain on where 'that' part goes send me a DM and I'll ping you my number.

Wes

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A CSL with a trailer hitch??? That’s got to be a first!
Apart from that, a great story! And only 13,000 miles? That has to be one of the lowest mileage coupes around. Congratulations!