Hidden upgrades

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
was watching a repeat episode of Wheeler Dealers last night (not sure if this translates in the US, but the genre is quite common, mechanic works on unloved motor, fixes it up, sells it on)
Anyway, they had a 70s Jag XJC on, and they added waterless coolant, swapped points for contactless ignition and ceramic coated the exhaust manifolds.
I can see the benefits of all three upgrades. Waterless coolant should eliminate corrosion in head, block, coolant pump, etc. Ceramic coating would reduce under bonnet temps (on RHD this means protection for brake and clutch m/c). I think I might have contactless ignition already, can't see any points inside dizzy.
Has anyone gone this route?
Downsides of waterless coolant?
Ceramic coating?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Several of us bought a run of headers and had them ceramic coated.
I am not sure if I can tell the difference.
Many of us have used 1-2-3 Ignition and have noticed a performance difference

lloyd

Reaction score
was watching a repeat episode of Wheeler Dealers last night (not sure if this translates in the US, but the genre is quite common, mechanic works on unloved motor, fixes it up, sells it on) Anyway, they had a 70s Jag XJC on, and they added waterless coolant, swapped points for contactless ignition and ceramic coated the exhaust manifolds.
I can see the benefits of all three upgrades. Waterless coolant should eliminate corrosion in head, block, coolant pump, etc. Ceramic coating would reduce under bonnet temps (on RHD this means protection for brake and clutch m/c). I think I might have contactless ignition already, can't see any points inside dizzy.
Has anyone gone this route?
Downsides of waterless coolant?
Ceramic coating?

A number of threads discuss all of the topics raised. Search can be your friend. ;)

Wheeler Dealers, e.g., https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threa...wheels-uk-tv-show-from-2000.10209/#post-65153

Pertronix and similar pointless ignition systems. e.g., https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/electronic-ignition.25396/#post-190465
Transistorized and CD ignitions: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/electronic-transistor-ignition-useful.10375/#post-66269

Ceramic coated exhaust parts: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/manifolds.20699/#post-149873

Waterless coolant: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/waterless-coolant.13243/#post-88105

Hope this helps.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cheers both
I'm embarrassed, again. I did do a search, I turned up nothing, I think I must be doing something wrong on that front as I've been pointed in the direction of the search button, more than once

So, jury's out on waterless coolant, more research required. My engine looks to run quite cold, per the gauge, but I haven't check with a thermometer. It's on my list to test the stat.
Has anyone on this sight made the leap in this direction?

Ceramic coating, looks to be a mainly cosmetic improvement

On ignition systems, could someone tell me what I currently have? (the last photo shows, I think, the condenser and ballast resistor; the ballast resistor is wired up still but the condenser is unplugged)

Attachments

• IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 120

m73

Reaction score
I usually do a google search with 'topic title' + e9 coupe forum in the search box. It works better than trying to use the forum search -- others may have various results.

-Mo

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've done a bunch of "hidden upgrades" on my car. As to the ones you specifically ask about, I really like the 123 distributor. (I do not recognize the one you have, by the way.) I have ceramic coated ported BMW exhaust manifolds. Stan had these done by Mario; I got his when he went headers. The coating does reduce temps, as noted.

I have not gone to waterless coolant. Ordinary coolant works well, and I am concerned about the need to get every ounce of water out of my engine and radiator before putting in the waterless stuff.

Other "hidden upgrades" I like:

Changing to the later, smaller BMW starter motor
Installing a larger amperage alternator
Installing additional ground straps (alternator to oil filter housing; oil filter housing to battery ground on fender; across motor mounts, etc.)
The Paul Cain ebrake upgrade
Spal pusher fan in front of condensor w/add'l 85 C switch
Converting to a modern air conditioning compressor
Headlight relay

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Besides others mentioned here, I've installed:

a/c idle bump solenoid
starter motor relay
bronze shifter bushings
parallel flow condenser/rotary compressor
window relays
light relays
4w dash lights

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
this is good info, I've relayed my low beam headlights already (and fitted a set of Cibie CSR headlights), and a PO has put in an electric fan, instead of the viscous clutch unit

I think I will ceramic coat my exhaust manifold (headers). On a RHD car the exhaust is right by the clutch and brake masters, and heat soak must not be great for longevity. I'll need some new manifolds first though, as the ones on the car are both repaired, looks to be cracks in both of them, underneath the heat shields. I'll start soaking the nuts now, in prep for the job next year!!

@Ohmess, what is the deal with the extra earth straps?
@Stevehose, and the bronze shifter bushings, is this a common mod, easy to source parts and DIY? (my gearshift needs all the help it can get!)

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
- Bluetooth receiver / 3.5mm jack for external music connection.
- Air fuel gauge, available with bluetooth. Have not done it but would be interesting for a carbureted engine.
- Main battery switch, my car always draws sleep current somewhere.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, I know you share a lot of info with the forum, is there a thread on A/C Idle bump solenoid? Thanks Joe

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
this is good info, I've relayed my low beam headlights already (and fitted a set of Cibie CSR headlights), and a PO has put in an electric fan, instead of the viscous clutch unit

I think I will ceramic coat my exhaust manifold (headers). On a RHD car the exhaust is right by the clutch and brake masters, and heat soak must not be great for longevity. I'll need some new manifolds first though, as the ones on the car are both repaired, looks to be cracks in both of them, underneath the heat shields. I'll start soaking the nuts now, in prep for the job next year!!

@Ohmess, what is the deal with the extra earth straps?
@Stevehose, and the bronze shifter bushings, is this a common mod, easy to source parts and DIY? (my gearshift needs all the help it can get!)

The first time I pulled the engine block drain plug, I did not get any drainage. The opening was blocked. One theory on how this might have happened is galvanic corrosion, caused by electricity flowing through the coolant and acting on dissimilar metals (iron in the engine block and aluminum in the head). My understanding is that concern about this type of problem is why BMW incorporated a ground strap between the transmission and the firewall, which is often missing in our cars. It was missing in mine, and I replaced it. But this replacement would not have addressed the type of problem I found, so I added the ground across the motor mount, and the ground tying together the alternator and battery grounds.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The engine ground strap is there for the starter as otherwise it would ground through the chassis ground putting a strain on the system, or something like that!

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
great info, something I'll look at. On a mk2 golf a poor ground can lead to a fried ECU, not relevant here of course, but clearly an old earth strap will not be as reliable as a newer one, or indeed an extra one!

thanks again, awesome forum
:)

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've just started down the path of restoration. A few days ago when cranking my engine to get fuel up to the carbs after the car sat for some time, the ground strap that is connected to the head began to smoke. Clearly not making a good connection. I'll have to attend to all the ground points as well as adding some new ones. I have a lot of work ahead.

IMG_9865-Ground-strap-@-head.jpg

IMG_9868-window-power-connections-left-door.jpg