Hood hinges have died

66toaster

Reaction score
After 46 years they no longer hold the hood up. Looking for the fix. Is there a spring in that long hollow bar that goes across the front of the engine bay? Need advice. Thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It has two long rods that are tensioned inside the tube at each end. It used to be available but not sure anymore.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the steel bar is inside the hollow bar as you can see when you take it apart
yes it is one long 1/4" diam bar with a bent 90 bend on each end.
maybe one of the bends broke or it snapped in the middle
you can make a new one from 1/4" diameter bar stock
lust bend the ends and then reattach the end holders that the bend sits into
the torsion on the bar is the spring
you would have to bend one end slide it thru then bend the other in the same direction

jmackro

Reaction score
After 46 years they no longer hold the hood up. Looking for the fix. Is there a spring in that long hollow bar that goes across the front of the engine bay? Need advice.

It's not your hinges that are worn out - it's that tube that runs across the width of the hood, plus the two arms that attach to the body. As HB Chris wrote, there are two torsion bars - springs if you will - inside the tube that attach to the R and L arms. Replacement tube-arm assemblies should be available and installing this part is a DIY job of medium difficulty (wear eye protection!). Maximillian Importing shows it as p/n 41611814312, priced at $203.59. See: http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=3425&mospid=47810&btnr=41_1219&hg=41&fg=35

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
you can make a new one from 1/4" diameter bar stock
lust bend the ends and then reattach the end holders that the bend sits into
the torsion on the bar is the spring
you would have to bend one end slide it thru then bend the other in the same direction

You can’t just go to home depot and buy a length of mild steel to make a torsion spring. You need to understand the material properties of the original spring and select a steel with the proper tensile strength. You likely also need to hot-bend it and let it cool slowly. If you just buy a piece of steel, it will snap in short order, if it works at all.

Disclaimer: I’m not a spring expert or metal fabricator. I just know that what was stated above is much easier said than done.

66toaster

Reaction score
It's not your hinges that are worn out - it's that tube that runs across the width of the hood, plus the two arms that attach to the body. As HB Chris wrote, there are two torsion bars - springs if you will - inside the tube that attach to the R and L arms. Replacement tube-arm assemblies should be available and installing this part is a DIY job of medium difficulty (wear eye protection!). Maximillian Importing shows it as p/n 41611814312, priced at $203.59. See: http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=3425&mospid=47810&btnr=41_1219&hg=41&fg=35
Thanks for the lead. My car is parked off site, so I can't look at it immediately to see how the tube is connected at each end to the hinges. Is it possible to just replace the torsion springs that are inside that tube, or does that involve cutting to remove the tube & then welding it back together? None of which I can do myself. Thanks.

Just heard from Max; the part number you cited is no longer available.

Last edited:

66toaster

Reaction score
I read some reviews of installing the entire assembly, but there were leveling problems for the closed hood. I think my solution might be to install an old fashion prop rod. I did see a solution for a 2002. The owner installed 2 stabilus gas struts on each side.

Something like this:
1572540327072.png

Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the assembly is original 1970. Still works perfectly. Thinking 150 for it, but shipping would be expensive. Where would it be shipped to?

66toaster

Reaction score
Oops, I see you are located on the West Coast. Yes, the freight would be high. The more I think about it, since it has been in use since the 70s, no way to tell how long it will last. Could die without much warning like mine. I think using Stabilus struts will be the way to go.

jmackro

Reaction score
Is it possible to just replace the torsion springs that are inside that tube, or does that involve cutting to remove the tube & then welding it back together?

It might be possible to swap new torsion springs into your existing tube & arms. But I'm not sure whether the torsion springs are available separately.

Just heard from Max; the part number you cited is no longer available.

Hmm. You might try a dealer or another mail-order parts supplier.

I think my solution might be to install an old fashion prop rod. I did see a solution for a 2002. The owner installed 2 stabilus gas struts on each side.

Seems that I recall a thread on this site about installing gas struts on e9's. So it has been done. Then too, I just used a wooden stick on my old e3 back in the 90's - as I recall, it worked pretty well.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
After 46 years they no longer hold the hood up. Looking for the fix. Is there a spring in that long hollow bar that goes across the front of the engine bay? Need advice. Thanks.

a search will bring you back this,

pat cooks

Reaction score
I have never heard of the torsion springs wearing out or going weak, main issue is usually incorrect assembly or something coming adrift at the ends, I may have a spare in the UK,