horse hair seat padding

zach

Reaction score
I can not find the horse hair padding to replace my front seats pads. Does anyone have a solution?

zach

Reaction score
I can not find the horse hair padding to replace my front seats pads. Does anyone have a solution?

zach

Reaction score
My bad on the question. I should have asked is there a pre-formed foam alternative to horsehair available for these seats? Or should I just get a block and sculpture it. Since the originals came with foam over horsehair I thought you might need to use a dense foam to duplicate the horse hair and a softer foam to cover. Thanks for any input.

zach

Reaction score
My bad on the question. I should have asked is there a pre-formed foam alternative to horsehair available for these seats? Or should I just get a block and sculpture it. Since the originals came with foam over horsehair I thought you might need to use a dense foam to duplicate the horse hair and a softer foam to cover. Thanks for any input.

acat2002

Reaction score
Zach,
I had an uncle in the upholstery business and he always used a product called "Dacron". That may be the brand name, but it was a white batting material that was available in thicknesses from 1/4" to 2". Dacron is a non-organic material that is not influenced by moisture, so even if you could still obtain real horsehair, I would not use it.

The PO of my car had the seats done w/o replacing the horsehair, which I think is a mistake because Dacron is cheap and you may as well correct the ills of the past when the seat covers are already off.

There are different types of foam rubber which could be used in the bolster areas, but I think Dacron is what youd be looking for. I don't know where you get it, but do a Google search and I'm sure you'll find a supplier/distributer.

Also, while you have the seats apart, pay attention to the integrety of the metal springs. THey are usually rusty and sometimes the hog-ties that fasten then come loose over time. Sometimes good upholsterers will rebuild the spring bed during re-covering. The stock E9 seats are far from supportive in their best form, so it's well worth the extra effort to make sure the springs and filling material are upgraded.

acat2002

Reaction score
Zach,
I had an uncle in the upholstery business and he always used a product called "Dacron". That may be the brand name, but it was a white batting material that was available in thicknesses from 1/4" to 2". Dacron is a non-organic material that is not influenced by moisture, so even if you could still obtain real horsehair, I would not use it.

The PO of my car had the seats done w/o replacing the horsehair, which I think is a mistake because Dacron is cheap and you may as well correct the ills of the past when the seat covers are already off.

There are different types of foam rubber which could be used in the bolster areas, but I think Dacron is what youd be looking for. I don't know where you get it, but do a Google search and I'm sure you'll find a supplier/distributer.

Also, while you have the seats apart, pay attention to the integrety of the metal springs. THey are usually rusty and sometimes the hog-ties that fasten then come loose over time. Sometimes good upholsterers will rebuild the spring bed during re-covering. The stock E9 seats are far from supportive in their best form, so it's well worth the extra effort to make sure the springs and filling material are upgraded.

RonP

Reaction score
Zach,

Sorry, I forgot to respond to you on this subject. I understand that Maximillion may have the horsehair. I know they have it for the 2002s, but it is pricey!!!

RonP

Reaction score
Zach,

Sorry, I forgot to respond to you on this subject. I understand that Maximillion may have the horsehair. I know they have it for the 2002s, but it is pricey!!!