how do you remove the vents?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm talking about the outside vent on the C pillars, how are those covers removed?
I need to clean them out and take care of some paint problems

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They are pushed in and probably quite fragile, I've read that dental floss slipped underneath in a few areas then pulled off is one way of doing it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Early cars have a pair of grilles on each side, they just push into plastic sleeves. If you mean the later solid cover they may be held in by posts with nuts on the inside, bummer. Or not, maybe they have unique pins, Golfbavaria has the answer.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
on the 73. are they threaded on or pressed onto studs? I dont want to pry and break something

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm thinking dental floss too. Just like the hood Roundel. Care and patience. Here are some photos of the posts that fit into the body-no threads, look like press fit . Good luck!
SAM_3274.JPG SAM_3275.JPG

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
On my 72, flaps like above. They press into grommets which are similar looking to the grommets that hold the front and read Rondels in place. Different size though

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I told myself...... no responding to threads tonight. Had top two wisdom teeth pulled and needless to say I am a baby and still require pain killers for such procedures. That being said......be very, very, very careful. Not as easy as everyone says. I have been very careful and still manage to break one of the three posts.....If they weren't so old, it wouldn't be a big deal. But the metal is like cheap pot tin......if you have not removed yet, let me explain more tomorrow. If you do break one, depending on what side, I may have a good one I can send you. The tools that are used to remove trim pieces, the hard plastic varied shaped tools are good to use. But be very very patient and go real slow working your way around each post. It's frustrating when a post breaks. Very hard to repair and you basically just have to go with the two good ones you didn't break. Break more than one and I would look for another piece/vent. Let me know if you pulled them out already or not and if they came out ok. Good luck....!!!!!!

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I havent started yet. I'm working outside in the heat of the summer so I'm in no hurry to get a bunch done right now

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm, despite absent wisdom teeth, wisdom abounds.

Wheneer I am in a situation like this and not sure how something is held on etc, I spray some WD40. Perhaps of no help but helps my psychologically.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm, despite absent wisdom teeth, wisdom abounds.

Wheneer I am in a situation like this and not sure how something is held on etc, I spray some WD40. Perhaps of no help but helps my psychologically.

I don't think the WD will help much with the vents. But like you say, probably won't hurt. I did keep the teeth to not loose the wisdom. Not sure if that's how it works, but....it can't hurt any more than they did coming out....I think the combo of dental floss, patience, and using some of the specialty plastic pry tools in combo would work great. Someone pulling straight up with the wrapped dental floss and another ever so gently prying around the posts. There are three of them. There is one prone to breaking by design more than the other two. I will have to check which one that was so be extra careful with that one. I will have to do some digging to figure out which one that was. Let us know the results. Good luck.

My wife thought I was crazy keeping the teeth, but hey, a little hydrogen peroxide cleaned them right up, with all that wisdom in there, how could I possibly through all that away? I need all the help I can get. Not sure how I am going to gross her out with them even further, but I'm open for suggestions.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
At first I thought your were speaking of your wisdom teeth!

"I think the combo of dental floss, patience, and using some of the specialty plastic pry tools in combo would work great. Someone pulling straight up with the wrapped dental floss and another ever so gently prying around the posts. There are three of them. There is one prone to breaking by design more than the other two. I will have to check which one that was so be extra careful with that one. I will have to do some digging to figure out which one that was."