How Many CSLs survive??

weebachle

Reaction score
Hi All,
Finally managed to join the Forum today and just thought I would ask a question that has intrigued me for years - I wonder just how many of the CSLs (both LHD and RHD) still survive, either on the road , in collections, loitering (mouldering?) in garages etc? I saw a post here from earlier this month in the Cars (Coupes for sale) forum where the writer suggested that there were perhaps around 1,000 CSLs surviving. It would be great if there were but I have to say that I found that hard to believe, though I admit to no scientific basis for thinking that. It just seems to me that the rate of attrition is bound to be higher that 25% some twenty three years after production stopped. If you look at this site (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/models.php)?id=14, this has the only E9 register I have found and it only shows 37 cars. Obviously there are many more than that but how many more? Have any of you guys got any theories on this? Any ideas on how to firm up the numbers? Me? I suspect less (a lot less!) than half have survived. I could be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time!

Just as a little bit of background - I bought my first CSL (LHD) in early 1978 in the Middle East. I bought my second (RHD) CSL in the UK in June 1984. I still have this second car and I am currently contemplating its restoration, since it has been sitting in my garage for more than twenty years while I was working overseas.

I hope this is the correct forum to post this, please excuse my ignorance if it is not.

Cheers

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Dave B

Reaction score
Weebachle!

Welcome to the forum. Love the username. Not many people will recognise it as a Scottish word.

You could be the third regular Scottish forum user, along with myself and Malc. It's a friendly group in the main with a couple of grouchy guys, but you get that everywhere, eh?

Look forward to chatting with you! Post some pics of your car in the gallery, or post them on the board.