How many RHD CSI's ?

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Guys, I think this may have been touched on at some stage by HBChris (?) but trying to get something definitive .

According to BMW , there were 207 RHD csi's built . I have seen them referred to as the "435 " cars given the prefix . The first was 4350001 (10/73 ) and sequentially right through to 4350206 (10/75 ) .

So, given there are other RHD csi's "out there " ( pre '73 ) , how come they don't appear ?....other than BMW advising "22xxxxxx was delivered to UK on etc ....". Yes, I know some UK dealers /concessionaires converted LHD to RHD but was that the case for all cars built before the "435's " ?

Thanks, Simon

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
It is estimated that approximately 200 Phase 1 cars were sold in the UK (VIN226....) and 200 Phase 2 cars (VIN435....) are known to have been sold in the UK. Of both series, there are 87 (including 3 LHD in UK) on the CS register in total. The estimated number of CSi's registered on the road by the DVLA is 69 and there are a further 26 SORN'd. All this and more is analysed in John Castle/Nick Hull's annual review and value estimates and these figures are taken from their Summer 2016 spreadsheet. Hope this helps. Best wishes, John

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Thanks gents, I guess what I'm ostensibly asking is given that BMW has comprehensive stats for all models produced , why is it that only the 207 x 435's are listed ?. As John mentions above, approx. 200 Phase 1 cars were sold in UK which is not an insignificant number .

Ian, that's an interesting link...I searched "3.0 cs" on the website and it brought up all E9 models registered in UK ...didn't realise that CSL's were the most plentiful ! ...I know where to go shopping in the future :)

Cheers, Simon

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If they weren't given a unique VIN range then they can't be tracked. It looks like there were also 215 433xxxx rhd CSi automatics as well.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks gents, I guess what I'm ostensibly asking is given that BMW has comprehensive stats for all models produced , why is it that only the 207 x 435's are listed ?. As John mentions above, approx. 200 Phase 1 cars were sold in UK which is not an insignificant number .

Ian, that's an interesting link...I searched "3.0 cs" on the website and it brought up all E9 models registered in UK ...didn't realise that CSL's were the most plentiful ! ...I know where to go shopping in the future :)

Cheers, Simon

Not that it's much more than a rounding error, but don't forget the lesser brother, the 2800cs. There are surprisingly few listed, most recently 3, down from 5 the year before. It's about the same for the 2000cs.
Too bad, I rather like my 28oocs, but then that's the one I have. Some parts are actually easier to get since there is less demand than the 3.0.

Ian

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No documented LHD CSi with automatic exists from the factory. Funny that two are in our table in 72 but not above with a unique VIN series.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
My coupe is chassis no. 4330072. Originally a carb'ed auto, so a CSA. The CSiAs starting with 433 must be a clerical error, and probably denote the later series CSAs instead.

I had a thread about this a year or so back.

HTH

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
All this and more is analysed in John Castle/Nick Hull's annual review and value estimates and these figures are taken from their Summer 2016 spreadsheet

Apologies for raising an old thread but just wondering where I can get hold of a copy of the review and spreadsheet you mention.

Is there a more up to date version?

Simufly

Reaction score
It is alleged (ie reported in the motoring press) that BMW UK made a decision to only import injected cars, both the e3 and e9, with manual boxes and carbed cars with auto boxes. The only exception is the e3 3.3Lia. AFAIK there are no factory injected e9s in the UK.