How much leather is required to reupholster front seat?

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
How much leather is required to reupholster the front seat?

The front seat but without the back of the seat (not where you would rest your back) or headrest?

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is not an easy question to answer because it depends on the hide and its imperfections. it takes more than you imagine because of the shapes. just to do the seat back (not the back part) takes a rectangle of about 12 sf (3' x 4') ... the seat bottom takes a square about 4 sf plus the perimeter of about 12" to 18" x 4' (4' to 6 sf) ... some of the extra dimension will be used to make the welt at the perimeter of the seat base. so in round numbers i have identified about 22 sf without any waste. but i doubt that you can get that out of 1/2 of a hide due to the irregular shapes. what ever you think you need, generally you need a minimum of 50% more ... but it could be 75% even 100% more.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Five hides to do the entire car inc rear parcel shelf and door cards.
Regards
Charles

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC, I used one hide (a whole cow, if you will) for two seats w/o headrests and w/o the seat back covers, and you will use every inch of it, including some of the less than perfect areas. If you are doing this by yourself, make a dummy pattern out of naugahide (vinyl) and you can lay it out on the hide and get all the pieces arranged the best way. There won't be much left.