How tight should the speedo cable 13 mm bolt at the back of the transmission be?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While doing an oil change yesterday, I noticed some oil drips at the back of the transmission. Upon further inspection, it looked like it was coming from the speedo cable entry point. I checked the 13mm bolt there and it was very loose. I started tightening it up, and it felt strangely soft as I did it. Not stripped, mind you but it felt like it was going into some thing soft. How tight is that bolt supposed to be?

D7FD39FA-494D-479E-9ADE-B0735EEE515F.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My recollection is that the bolt fits into a groove and only needs to be tight enough to keep the cable from coming out.

I just looked at this on my 635csi barn find. Your leak is coming either from the o ring for the speedo drive, or the shaft seal inside the speedo drive unit. Replace the o-ring first. The shaft seal is small and difficult to replace.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
For what reason ever the left screw did mot come with a hole

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The one on my 635csi does not have a hole. Haven't climbed under my coupe to see if that one has a hole, but I know I did not put safety wire on it when I installed it.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
My recollection is that the bolt fits into a groove and only needs to be tight enough to keep the cable from coming out.

I just looked at this on my 635csi barn find. Your leak is coming either from the o ring for the speedo drive, or the shaft seal inside the speedo drive unit. Replace the o-ring first. The shaft seal is small and difficult to replace.
I have three transmissions, one has a hole, two don’t. If yours does not I suggest that you drill it and wire it.

The seals, O ring is thicker than normal, but easy to change, the shaft seal is a PITA, suggest that you buy two or three seals, they are easy to damage. Or, pay someone who knows what they are doing with these, it might be cheaper.